Searches

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
Recently there have been a number of comments about the search function on the site. One the one hand, I guess it is good to know that I am in good company in not being able to find what I am looking for. One the other hand, I guess it is a problem for a number of us.

Do, Darren just posted links for Mike Henderson's dovetail posts. Would you post a step by step tutorial how you found them? Please don't leave any steps out! This stuff is not intuitive for some of us.

Yeah, due to the design of the search engine in vbulletin, searching can be a bear sometimes.

Typically I'll use the advanced search, keywords have to be at least 3 characters, and I'll use the original poster's name and search only their posts. If it's not returning the results I want, I'll then move on to using the google search option we have.

Here are some tips on vbulletin searching...pay attention to the limitations and the basic search syntax sections (using boolean operators and wild cards). Unfortunately it's still a crap shoot and you'll still have to do some digging.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=253432

Edit:
In addition google does index our site very frequently, this thread is probably already out there or will be within an hour or so. One can pretty much search any website specifically from google (not the box under search, that is already filtered to familywoodworking), by starting your search with

site:thewebsitehere.com keywords

example: site:familywoodworking.org router lady

To be sure google includes or excludes words, use + or - in front of the words to do so...

site:familywoodworking.org router lady -retired

That will return much of the same results as the one above, but we all know Carol can't retire, so no need to get those results. :D

Last edited:
I learned the syntax in reverse perhaps but, the result is the same. I use the Advanced Search function if I am already in the forum. If I am jsut browsing around and suddenly want to find thread/posts about 'template routing' I just use a Google search on:

"template routing" site:familywoodworking.org If I want results with the words 'template routing' as in a phrase, shown first.

-or-

template routing site:familywoodworking.org If I want results with the words 'template' or 'routing' or words close to those in the result.

Here's more gobbldy-gook: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2466433?hl=en

Thanks, Ken. I love pictures! It makes sense now.

However, your example makes it real hard to retire as the Router Lady. I think its gonna be chiseled on my tombstone! :whistling:

Personally, I don't bother with the vBulletin search or the "Advanced" search, and instead just go directly to the Google Custom Search box.