End Grain Cutting Boards

I've use both mineral oil and mineral oil/paraffin mix on a few boards and couldn't tell the difference. Here's a few I made a couple of years ago. The first two I used the mix and the last 3 were straight mineral oil. The last one is Vaughn inspired.

aquarium 008.jpgchristmas 09 002 (Medium).jpgchristmas 09 003.jpgchristmas 09 004 (Medium).jpg3d board.jpg

Last edited:
Great boards, John! I'm not sure I'd want to put any of them into hack-and-slash duty.

I've got an edge-grain board I made nearly 15 years ago that I've never used anything but mineral oil on and it has survived a fair amount of use. Since my new boards are end-grain, I'd like to give them a bit more protection.

I've use both mineral oil and mineral oil/paraffin mix on a few boards and couldn't tell the difference. Here's a few I made a couple of years ago. The first two I used the mix and the last 3 were straight mineral oil. The last one is Vaughn inspires.

View attachment 87276View attachment 87277View attachment 87278View attachment 87279View attachment 87280
Boy those are some lovely work John! what were the woods in the first board? walnut and ambrosia maple?

Great boards, John! I'm not sure I'd want to put any of them into hack-and-slash duty.

I've got an edge-grain board I made nearly 15 years ago that I've never used anything but mineral oil on and it has survived a fair amount of use. Since my new boards are end-grain, I'd like to give them a bit more protection.
Bill, as beautiful as they are, you're missing the point.
Hack and slash duty, as you put it, is exactly where they belong! Just because something is beautiful doesn't mean it can't be hard working as well!

Nice-looking boards, Bill. I really like the subtle shape adjustment with the curved ends. Nice touch. :thumb:

And thanks, John Daugherty, for the tip o' the hat. That's a nice batch of boards in your pics, too.