Walnut and maple box "cookies and cream"

Dewayne Baker

I decided to resaw some 3” thick rough sawn walnut that was given to me a few years ago. The walnut was so dirty and rough I had little idea of what lied beneath. I cleaned up the surface of one board at the drum sander and began to get excited when I saw its true colors. I resawed and milled the stock to ½” thickness. Here it is in this box I made for my Mother in law. She provided the dimensions and will use it for mail. The divider in front is for outgoing mail. She is currently using a cardboard box and would probably be satisfied with a simple plywood and nails unfinished box. I’m not much on pallet wood projects or ugly box contests. I have grain matching around all 4 corners. Oil and polly finish.

DSCF3877_zpse52fcef1.jpg

DSCF3879_zpsb610bcd4.jpg

DSCF3880_zps2bcfad6b.jpg

Thanks for the comments friends.
Looks awesome Dewayne, but I have to ask...how did you photograph this? My first thought when I opened this thread was 'cool Sketchup work'
Probably just my old beat up PC, but still, had to ask :D
:DKen i use a piece of black nawgahyde as a back drop, both under and behind the box. Some good florescent mixed with incondescent light and a tripod lend a hand to a good quality shot. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it!