Ned's Kickstarter Build

Ned Bulken

Hi gang, Thought I would have a showcase of just the build part of my kickstarter campaign that Darren mentioned here. The project is still going like gangbusters and I'm about to go full throttle on the build, hence this thread.

Despite my parents' having enough to deal with currently, we got to discussing my project. In my case it was as a diversion, in theirs, they wanted to know I was doing well. My father asked about fulfillment for the project. I told him that truthfully it was going to be hard to get all of the boards I need to make done because the funding won't release until the middle of next month. No way in heck I'm getting all of the boards done in time for holiday shipping if I have to wait until mid december to get the drum sander.
I was simply floored when they both chimed in with, then we'll get you some money so that you can stop in Williamsport and get the sander on your way home. :eek:

I stammered my thanks, and as soon as I can, after my father hits the bank in the morning, I'm going to be rolling north by northwest to the Grizzly showroom. I'm going to roll the dice and hope they don't sell out by tomorrow afternoon... If they do, I'll deposit the $ and place the order. With any luck, I'll be in Lakeport by dinner time with sander in the back of the Prius, just in time to grab a short nap, then head in to work. going to be a LONG day and night of driving. I Know I'll be grabbing some shuteye on the way home from my deliveries. I'll put a sleeping bag in the car.

Oh, you were wondering what sander I'm going to pick up?
g0458.jpggo458b.jpg
that's the g0458 18/36" sander which includes built in dust collection (though I'm probably going to hook up my DC and mini cyclone in line just the same). Looking at it, and since except for my benches, lathe and bandsaw all of my tools are mobile, I'm thinking how best to make this mobile as well. At this point, I believe I'm going to figure out a mount on one end of my UTS stand, mounting it so the out feed rollers are just above the top of the stand.

Thanks for looking, check back in the next few weeks for process and whatnot photos.

Sounds great, Ned! That's the sander I figured you were aiming for when your funding kept going up. It looks like a great choice considering price/value.

Woo production time! Looking forward to hearing how the new toy works out once you get it rolling.

Definitely hook it up to the DC. You'll save a bunch of time, hassle, and money by keeping the sanding belts clean so they don't get burns. I know this one has a built in impeller, but my limited experience with my 16-32 says the more airflow the merrier (square!!). For your use case some pretty coarse belts would probably be worth the investment as well, like 40-60 grit for initial cleanup and flattening.

Woo production time! Looking forward to hearing how the new toy works out once you get it rolling.

Definitely hook it up to the DC. You'll save a bunch of time, hassle, and money by keeping the sanding belts clean so they don't get burns. I know this one has a built in impeller, but my limited experience with my 16-32 says the more airflow the merrier (square!!). For your use case some pretty coarse belts would probably be worth the investment as well, like 40-60 grit for initial cleanup and flattening.

Ryan that's my intent... This is more of a production smoother than a finish machine, I need it to even out that last 3/32 or so after the cross cut glue up dries. I used to do that with the planer... Because I didn't have a drum sander....

I may pick up some finer grits, but I have a nice ROS that does a great job.

Ned

Good for you Ned glad your family came to your aid. Thats what family all about. Wise move to make seperate trip to pick up sander.
Will you still use your planer in the process? You may want to ensure u have spare set of baldes on hand during all this production. I recently found it very handy to have some on hand myself it enabled me to keep going when i otherwise would have had to stop.
Btw dont know what blades your planner takes but look around if u do need to buy, i found a incredible deal on a two pack when i was looking.
Best of luck with pickup, if u can tow on your car, could be very hand if u could scrounge from a friend etc a small trailer to take along.
I hauled my lugage trailer with me to Grizzly a few years back when i was picking up my 8" jointer and the guys at the Grizzly warehouse round the back from the store, were very amenable to helping get the load onto the trailer. Made life real easy. Check out dimensions on the packaging thats something Grizz do well too.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Also, once you burn through the initial paper, the folks who have tried them all seem to think the abranet stuff is head and shoulders above. I haven't tried it yet on my drum because I still have quite a bit of life left in the factory paper that came with mine but I suspect you'll be going through some product :D. I have switched to it almost exclusively for my ros and lathe work though, lasts longer and cuts faster.

The stuff you'd want is the "heavy duty", can't figure out what category is under but searching on the mirka site finds some.

http://mirka-online.com/hd5bg001803...-3-4-in-x-33-ft-mesh-grip-roll-80g-qty-1.html
http://mirka-online.com/hd5bg001603...-3-4-in-x-33-ft-mesh-grip-roll-60g-qty-1.html
http://mirka-online.com/hd5bg001403...-3-4-in-x-33-ft-mesh-grip-roll-40g-qty-1.html

I admit that given the success of your kickstarter I'm slightly surprised you didn't upgrade a smidge to maybe the supermax, but can of your getting a loan in the middle :)

My experience with sand paper on the drum is no need to go lower than 80 grit. If you have a decent glue-up, 80 will be plenty. For most of the work I do, I don't need anything that aggressive but it helped on the cutting boards. I usually only need 180 but drop to 120 on occasion. When I stocked up after getting my 16-32 about 2002, I bought rolls of 80, 120, 180, and 220. I have rarely used 80 and 220, but they come in handy at times.

Abranet is, no doubt, a good way to go but the sticker shock is scary!

Looks like Grizzly has a good selection of 3" wide roll abrasives. Don't forget to grab a big crepe stick while you're at it.

Been following your kickstarter adventure and can't explain in words how happy I am for you! I grin from ear to ear every time I check you project page and see how well you are doing with it. Bravo! It could not have happened to a more deserving soul.

Good for you Ned glad your family came to your aid. Thats what family all about. Wise move to make seperate trip to pick up sander.
Will you still use your planer in the process? You may want to ensure u have spare set of baldes on hand during all this production. I recently found it very handy to have some on hand myself it enabled me to keep going when i otherwise would have had to stop.
Btw dont know what blades your planner takes but look around if u do need to buy, i found a incredible deal on a two pack when i was looking.
Best of luck with pickup, if u can tow on your car, could be very hand if u could scrounge from a friend etc a small trailer to take along.
I hauled my lugage trailer with me to Grizzly a few years back when i was picking up my 8" jointer and the guys at the Grizzly warehouse round the back from the store, were very amenable to helping get the load onto the trailer. Made life real easy. Check out dimensions on the packaging thats something Grizz do well too.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Thanks Rob! I'll be taking the wife's SUV to make the pickup. We don't have a tow-capable vehicle, both her SuV and my Prius are hybrids, and their transmissions dont' play well with towing. I will still be using the planer for the long-grain smoothing, the sander is for the end grain portion. I can and have plane end grain, but have realized it truly isn't safe, hence the project. Oh, and I just flipped my planer blades last week, should last me through this project just fine. worst case, I'll order some and get them shipped fast. Shouldn't be a problem though.

Also, once you burn through the initial paper, the folks who have tried them all seem to think the abranet stuff is head and shoulders above. I haven't tried it yet on my drum because I still have quite a bit of life left in the factory paper that came with mine but I suspect you'll be going through some product :D. I have switched to it almost exclusively for my ros and lathe work though, lasts longer and cuts faster.

The stuff you'd want is the "heavy duty", can't figure out what category is under but searching on the mirka site finds some.

http://mirka-online.com/hd5bg001803...-3-4-in-x-33-ft-mesh-grip-roll-80g-qty-1.html
http://mirka-online.com/hd5bg001603...-3-4-in-x-33-ft-mesh-grip-roll-60g-qty-1.html
http://mirka-online.com/hd5bg001403...-3-4-in-x-33-ft-mesh-grip-roll-40g-qty-1.html

I admit that given the success of your kickstarter I'm slightly surprised you didn't upgrade a smidge to maybe the supermax, but can of your getting a loan in the middle :)
I'll check into the abranet, sounds like It may be a 'bonus buy' if I have $ left after all of this settles out. Standard 80 and 120 grit will have to do. Well, supermax is a very nice machine, but there are other tools and expenses in the project that need to be covered. Other than some wood, and the sander (which will be paid back asap), I'm really trying for the project to be self-funding, ie, no $ out of pocket if I can help it.

My experience with sand paper on the drum is no need to go lower than 80 grit. If you have a decent glue-up, 80 will be plenty. For most of the work I do, I don't need anything that aggressive but it helped on the cutting boards. I usually only need 180 but drop to 120 on occasion. When I stocked up after getting my 16-32 about 2002, I bought rolls of 80, 120, 180, and 220. I have rarely used 80 and 220, but they come in handy at times.

Abranet is, no doubt, a good way to go but the sticker shock is scary!

Looks like Grizzly has a good selection of 3" wide roll abrasives. Don't forget to grab a big crepe stick while you're at it.
I'll be stocking up on 80 and 120 grits, anything higher, I'll use my ROS.

Been following your kickstarter adventure and can't explain in words how happy I am for you! I grin from ear to ear every time I check you project page and see how well you are doing with it. Bravo! It could not have happened to a more deserving soul.
Thanks Rennie!