Best Large Cole Jaws

I'd stay away from Cole jaws that large; stuff comes flying off those in a heart beat!! Thing about an alternate technique of maybe a vacuum chuck with the tail stock in place

I'll second Jim's comment. Cole jaw grip can be a bit dicey. ;)

If you absolutely want a chuck in that size range for a Nova chuck, it appears a large Longworth chuck is about all that's available.

http://www.rockler.com/16-longworth...PL&sid=V9146&gclid=CNep2c_OhMICFQwzaQod_w4Avg

I should note that I don't trust Longworth chucks any more than I do Cole jaws. I prefer a donut chuck, vacuum chuck, or my favorite, a simple friction chuck and sharp gouges to turn away the tenon while using the tailstock to hold the piece on the lathe.

....I should note that I don't trust Longworth chucks any more than I do Cole jaws. I prefer a donut chuck, vacuum chuck, or my favorite, a simple friction chuck and sharp gouges to turn away the tenon while using the tailstock to hold the piece on the lathe.
^^^This. If I use my cole jaws without the tailstock I use heavy rubber bands (exercise bands) to help ensure the piece doesn't go flying.

Good idea with the bands. If I would use my cole jaws they would be used with the tailstock in place until the last nub is removed....PSI has a larger set of cole jaws. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCJC14.html

I have a set of those, they're a hard plastic and came with a warning to keep speed below 600... I have to use mine with the headstock turned 45 deg as they're too big to go over the ways on my 1442... which means I have to use the tool rest extension on my lathe... it's pretty funky and doesn't feel as solid as having the TR over the ways... I walk around behind the lathe when I turn it own.. clear of the turning in case it flies off... I've found that they can fly off.

Also would be leery of the Longworth... search back and you'll find my thread about why I'm leery....

Last edited:
I haven't found any cole jaws that will hold a 16" bowl. The Longworth chuck seems to be the only option for a commercially manufactured chuck that large. I have the 10" cole jaws for my SN2 chuck that I got from Woodcraft. I use it all the time and it's great. PSI does sell a set of screws/bumpers in various lengths that will fit the Woodcraft chuck. They are really handy.

I have never had a piece come out of the cole jaws as long as I'm using them correctly and intelligently. If you look in the operating info on any chuck jaws, most recommend a max turning speed of about 600 RPM when turning without tailstock support. The bands may be a good idea if they don't get in the way of your tools.

Steve

Steve, I love your 2k F16 patch. Quite an achievement sir. I was a Flight Engineer with 500hrs in Helicopters. USAF Combat Search and Rescue.

Merry Christmas all,
Marc

Thanks, Marc. Was the most fun you could have with your clothes on. Was fortunate enough to get into the little jet early (81). Got a little over 2000 hours and got to see some exciting places and meet some neat people.