Sanding...Which Drill Etc?

Mike Turner

I hate sanding and wondering what most of you use. Do you use a drill with the hook and loop attachment for sand paper...(like velco for sandpaper) or what? I want to make it as easy on me as possible. I try to keep my tools sharp but sometimes you just have to sand to get that best finish. Thanks

I use three different sanders for turned pieces, depending on circumstances:

Right angle drill: http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-variable-speed-reversible-close-uarters-drill-60610.html (mine is an older model, but virtually the same drill)

Metabo ROS: http://www.amazon.com/Metabo-SXE400...&qid=1416330632&sr=8-3&keywords=metabo+sander

Grex pneumatic ROS: http://www.amazon.com/AOS368-2-Inch...F8&qid=1416330662&sr=8-1&keywords=grex+sander

(Plan on spending some serious money on a real compressor if you use the Grex very much.)

Oh, and sharp tools or not, virtually everyone sands every piece they turn unless they're trying for a rustic finish. Sandpaper is just another turning tool...not something you have to pretend you seldom use. ;)

Neiko 3/8-Inch, 55-Degree Close Quarters Right-Angle Drill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XUHA8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cons:
- paddle switch can get in the way on deeper bowls (a longer sanding extension would probably mostly solve that)
Pros:
- variable speed is nice, and easy to control on the fly
- seems moderately well built for the price
- not overly heavy
- heckofalotbetter than hand sanding

I also have used my 5" ROS on the outside of larger bowls but its kind of unweildy on anything but the very largest. The little metabo Vaughn linked to would be handier.

Also don't skimp on the sanding pad/attachement setup, I bought a cheapo PSI set for the Neiko and wish I'd sprung for a bit better set up front - money down the drain.

I had one like the Neiko that Ryan posted but by another manufacturer, Milwaukee I think. The bearings gave out after two years...dust got to them. Now I use the HF ones that Vaughn linked to. They have been going strong for three years and I would buy them again.

... Now I use the HF ones that Vaughn linked to. They have been going strong for three years and I would buy them again.

Caveat: When I bought my HF drill, I bought two of them and sent one to Stu in Tokyo. The shipping was easily twice the cost of the drill. Seven or more years later, mine is still running fine. Stu's, on the other hand, died within about a month of him receiving it. HF is good about taking returns, but when the nearest store is thousands of miles away, returning faulty merchandise is problematic. ;)

Caveat: When I bought my HF drill, I bought two of them and sent one to Stu in Tokyo. The shipping was easily twice the cost of the drill. Seven or more years later, mine is still running fine. Stu's, on the other hand, died within about a month of him receiving it. HF is good about taking returns, but when the nearest store is thousands of miles away, returning faulty merchandise is problematic. ;)

I forgot about Stu's drill not working out...I too have the HF drill and it has been working 6 or 7yrs now. I've had to reattach the cord inside the drill a few times, but it's also been dropped quite a bit.

Neiko 3/8-Inch, 55-Degree Close Quarters Right-Angle Drill: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XUHA8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cons:
- paddle switch can get in the way on deeper bowls (a longer sanding extension would probably mostly solve that)
Pros:
- variable speed is nice, and easy to control on the fly
- seems moderately well built for the price
- not overly heavy
- heckofalotbetter than hand sanding

I also have used my 5" ROS on the outside of larger bowls but its kind of unweildy on anything but the very largest. The little metabo Vaughn linked to would be handier.

Also don't skimp on the sanding pad/attachement setup, I bought a cheapo PSI set for the Neiko and wish I'd sprung for a bit better set up front - money down the drain.

I use the Neiko too... it's handy, will reach into most of the bowls I make, not overly expensive, cause you're going to get dust impacted in the gears and grease inside -- I go through about one a year, even with blowing it out with the compressor -- it's reversible which is a help since my lathe isn't ... works well for me since I'm beginning to develop arthritis in my right hand and hand sanding tires it pretty fast.

I've never used the right angle drill from HF that Vaughn mentions, but not sure I like the angle on it after using the Neiko 55 deg angle... I did have a regular HF drill that I managed to twist the chuck off trying to reverse a stuck bit... never got it to screw back on... it was a good drill and the problem was my error and not really a fault of the drill... I finally bought another drill just like it from HF.

If you do use an electric drill to sand with, take the time to blow the dust out regularly... my last Neiko has lasted about 18 months and still working after I got a compressor and started blowing the dust out.... the paddle trigger gets a little temperamental now and then, but usually an indication of dust.

Last edited: