Please Evaluate Basement Trimwork

I met with the contractor yesterday. He was hesitant to admit that it is as bad as I say it is. However, he's going to bring in a more experienced guy to fix things. I should be able to report back later this week.

I agree with david. Giving them a chance to provide you with the level of quality you thought you were paying for is the right thing to do. I hope they do right by you.

Well, after giving the contractor a piece of my mind on Saturday, we're off to a pretty good start today. He had the new guy come out and get started on the mess. Didn't get to meet him since I was at work but was very pleased with what he's done so far:

2007 04 24 001.jpg

2007 04 24 002.jpg

Look at the first post in the thread to see what it looked like before. He was only here for a few hours so he hasn't started the baseboards & molding yet but if it's the same quality as the half-wall, I'll be very happy.

BTW, if you're following this saga both here & at the creek, you may want to stay here. I have a feeling my recent comments may get me the boot over there. One guy over there really ticked me off.

Last edited:
Well, after giving the contractor a piece of my mind on Saturday, we're off to a pretty good start today. He had the new guy come out and get started on the mess. Didn't get to meet him since I was at work but was very pleased with what he's done so far:

View attachment 7844

View attachment 7845

Look at the first post in the thread to see what it looked like before. He was only here for a few hours so he hasn't started the baseboards & molding yet but if it's the same quality as the half-wall, I'll be very happy.

BTW, if you're following this saga both here & at the creek, you may want to stay here. I have a feeling my recent comments may get me the boot over there. One guy over there really hacked me off.

Much better

I am late to the party. Just read this, but that has become the 'norm' around here for trim that is to be painted. Once caulked and painted it will look good.... for a while.

It's a sore spot with me but there are few left that care about quality and have any pride in their work. I have said it and most agree with me. There are very few carpenters left, just a lot of nail drivers!

Not sure when it changed but 35-40 years ago your carpenters did the cabinets and trim as well as the framing. Further back they even made doors and windows. Granted i wouldn't want that expense now but those skills are dying! Now we have nail drivers that just want a paycheck and don't care about anything else.

Sad!

Jeff

No - I wouldn't accept it.
Not from my hand, and especially not from someone that is supposed to be a paid professional.

Tell your contractor - NEVER Miter inside corners!!! Cope cuts are easy, and almost fool-proof.

<rant on>
But.. As person that used to finish basements and do handywork on the side, I've seen MUCH worse. Pride and workmanship doesn't mean a darn thing to many contractors. And I see absolutely NO logic to the typical excuse of "they arent paying enough for tight joints, and seemless work". Bunch of BS if you ask me. Do the work properly...or don't do it at all!!

</rant off>

Gettin' there

Looks like things are improving. Remember that scarf joint? Here's an improved version. Still has the rapid-fire nail holes but I can live with that. It lines up just fine now.
2007 04 25 002.jpg

And here's the other half-wall, with column. I won't show a close up of where it meets the wall but it's scribed to the wall just right.
2007 04 25 003.jpg

Here's an improved door molding:
2007 04 25 004.jpg

Didn't show this before but this is what the trim looked like at the steps:
2007 04 20 013.jpg

This is how is looks now. Nice.
2007 04 25 001.jpg

Just wanted to pop back in and give a final update. No more pictures but trust me when I say these guys made good on the trim. After closing up the gaps and re-doing the half-walls, the place looks great. I still need to do the caulk and spackle but my job will be much easier after the trim rehab.

Thanks for all of your comments. I firmly believe that you judge a business by how they respond when things go wrong. Any business. The contractor did the right thing and made things right in this situation. That's all you can ask. For that I commend them. Sure, it would have been nice to have it done right the first time, but all will end well.

Thanks for following along. I need a beer. :)

glad your contractor made things right! the step photo might have got a different initial response from me....that`s a classic!

Tell your contractor - NEVER Miter inside corners!!! Cope cuts are easy, and almost fool-proof.

What is the problem with inside miters on baseboards? I am not a trim carpenter and cannot figure out the answer unless it has something to do with expansion and contraction. I will have to admit that I did a couple of rooms in my own house after laying tile and I mitered the inside corners and now I am a bit concerned. So far they are OK.

Last edited:
What is the problem with inside miters on baseboards? I am not a trim carpenter and cannot figure out the answer unless it has something to do with expansion and contraction.

I think the expansion/contraction is the issue. I've been wondering, though, does mdf expand & contract? I miter cut the inside corners on my mudroom and haven't had an issue with it. I had intended to cope them but was having a ton of frustration with coping the mdf. It was falling apart on me so I gave up and miter cut them. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this, related to mdf.