Beading Tool and blanks

So I was looking in the LV catalogue, and they have a couple of different hand beading tools. You can buy little scrapers that fit into them that are already cut to make the shapes you want or you can buy blanks and shape them yourself.

I have what may be a very stupid question. For that, I apologize in advance. If you buy the blanks, how can you possibly shape them when they are made of STEEL? :huh: :eek:

Not a stupid question, but one with a more refined question behind it. What is the hardness of the blanks? Handsaws are about Rc 38-42, modern cabinet scrapers are about Rc 50 and to give an idea how that compares to something a bit harder, chisels are generally around Rc 58-60. I have made a beading tool from old handsaw blades and they are easy to shape with files.

According to Lie Nielsen, their beading tool (which I have) blades are made from hardened A2 steel, but they don't say how hard. They indicate that their blanks can be shaped with files.

"The Beading Tool comes with a double-ended 1/8" and 1/4" router blade and seven double-ended blades with 14 different profiles for beading, reeding, and fluting. Also included are two blank blades that can be worked with files to make your own shapes, which makes quick work of reproducing small pieces of molding for repair or restoration.
Blades are 5/8" wide x .060" thick and made from hardened, A2 Tool Steel. Will also fit the antique Stanley No. 66."

I hope this helps some.

Last edited:
Google "homemade scratch stock" and you'll see lots of examples. These are really easy to make and a piece of old saw blade filed to shape works quite well for the cutter parts.