Wolf

Paul Douglass

Finally got this one done. Been busy in the basement putting up drywall so haven't got to spend a lot of time with the scrolling. But I did get this one done this evening. I getting in the mood to try another avenue of scrolling. I'm looking at patterns for clocks that have all the fancy scrolling. Haven't decided on which on yet but I think it would be a lot of fun and a challenge to make one.

Anyway... The Wolf!

IMG_2443 800.jpg

Paul this one takes my breath away. As Ted said those eyes and for me the ears. Me thinks there is artistry of another kind in your hands. You rival Dave H and his pictures.
Wish u were into making you tube videos would be real cool to see you do the process specifically the cutting. How many hours would u say u have in this piece Paul?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your very kind responses.

Paul this one takes my breath away. As Ted said those eyes and for me the ears. Me thinks there is artistry of another kind in your hands. You rival Dave H and his pictures.
Wish u were into making you tube videos would be real cool to see you do the process specifically the cutting. How many hours would u say u have in this piece Paul?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob, thank you for the highest compliment I could ever receive. But rival Dave's talent is some thing I could never achieve. Keep in mind he starts with a blank canvas and paints his beautiful pictures. He has to know all about colors, shading, shadowing, blending, etc, etc, the list goes on to things I couldn't even think about. I however start with a black and white picture and just cut out all the black..

This one probably took me about 20 hours to cut.

Just amazing. The detail is wonderful on this guy and as mentioned, the eyes have it. What is the overall dimension?

The cut out part is around 8 1//2" X 10" the piece of wood is 9" x12"

paul its such detailed delicate craftsmanship, Im not sure now if I want to throw my scroll saw out since I know I wont achieve that, or go get it out and try to make something close to that.....hmmmmmm...........this woodworking is a never ending challenge.

but that is some beautiful work, where do you get the patience?

Ive seen some of the scroll saw clocks at the woodworking shows, talk about being patient......wow.

Give it a try. Doesn't take patience for me because I really enjoy it. Experiment with blades until you find what you are most comfortable with, buy a gross of them and go at it one hole at a time. I tried the spiral blades and for me they made all the difference in the world, others hate them.

Thanks again for all the comments.

I have what Im guessing is an inferior machine.
I purchased it used from someone for 50 dollars.
Dremel, retails for around 139 or so?
He had a ton of delta blades with it, I have a tough time placing the blades in, both types.
Id love to give it a whirl one day.

Allen, I have never seen or used a Dremel scroll saw, but what I have read, they are not highly praised. There are reviews on the internet for about every scroll saw made. If you can find a good DeWalt used they usually run $200-$300 depending on condition and location. They are a very good saw.