using my scraps

allen levine

I know making a segmented bowl is way above my pay grade, and the more pieces you glue up, the better it will look.
I want to see how a simple one goes first, Im still getting limited time and as frustrating as that is in itself, along with discomfort, I want to keep things flowing easily out there.
Took whatever I had in shorts or narrow strips over 1.5 inches width.
Used the incra mitre 5000 sled , made each cut 30 degrees so there is 6 sides.(12 would have been nicer, glue up will drive me batty)
made each layer 1/2 inch less than layer on top of it.
Using a 2 inch piece of maple as bottom.

heres some quick shots, no glue, have to go get some.
Got some new stuff this week.
And citizen(along with the help of my jeweler) did the right thing when they couldn't fix my eco drive watch, and it just slipped past the warranty stage, they allowed me another watch under 250 dollars.
I have a few watches, I needed one for when I work outside,one that I could easily see the numbers, I kinda liked the military style of this watch.(best of all, it was free and retails for 125 more than what I paid for the previous one)
having a good day. heading over to bobs favorite bagel café for lunch shortly.
3 hours in the shop is good enough for me today. as usual, as much as I like to bore everyone, heres some pics off my cell.

*I usually save all those strips and shorts for cutting boards, but really? how many cutting boards do I need to give away free, it aint the money, its the time spent sanding them and oiling them. really? everyone I know has one of my cutting boards.
time to give them bowls.Im hoping when I turn it, theres enough with 1.5 inches width to get the full circle, otherwise, back to the drawing board and I might actually have to do the math instead of winging it.

Attachments

• scraps 001.jpg
    scraps 001.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 65
  • scraps 002.jpg
    scraps 002.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 63
  • scraps 003.jpg
    scraps 003.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 62
  • scraps 004.jpg
    scraps 004.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
  • scraps 006.jpg
    scraps 006.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 62
  • scraps 007.jpg
    scraps 007.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 65
  • scraps 009.jpg
    scraps 009.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 75
Cool, So does the round disk go inside the bowl blank to steady it?

Nice watch btw, Citizens are my favorites. My buddies used to give me crap about spending $250 or more on a watch, but other than my wedding ring, it's about the only jewelry I wear.

Looke like you're having a lot of fun with this turning thing. Just a point of information about you bowl layup. Having the end-to-end glue joints of each ring all in line as you show them is not the strongest way to assemble this blank. It is common to stagger those joints as you glue the rings together for increased strength and stability. Look around at other segmented turnings and you will see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

yeah, I noticed too late, I would have had to made the pieces much wider than 1.5 inch.
The rings are glued up, Ill press them together tomorrow, maybe start spinning it Monday, my next one will be a bit more well constructed.
the pattern would have looked much better also if I staggered them, but the wood isn't wide enough, learning process.
12 shorter pieces with 15 degree cuts would have been much better to stagger them.
I start a blanket chest/coffee table/toy chest tomorrow or Monday, Ill be off the turning after this for quite a while.

Last edited:
glued up, a lot of glue, maybe way too much glue, and I tried to stagger a bit, but there wasn't enough width on the pieces so I just turned them each a bit for a better hold.
Put them in my homemade press, 6 cut 2x4s and 6 clamps, with plywood distributing the pressure.
was tough to get clamps in place with only 2 hands. could have used help.

looks like catch heaven in that bowl, hope I don't destroy it the first 5 minutes.
I drilled a 2 and 1/8th hole in bottom to expand the chuck in to mount on lathe.**

I hope it holds together, my 36th anniversary is the 2nd next month, this bowl will be my wifes gift.

**Im thinking if I continue in the future to make larger bowls like this, I might get some cheap bronze colored tin medallians to fit the 2 and 1/8 th hole from chuck and have the medallions engraved with my name on it, I can sharpie in a date. Just thinking about it, or a small wooden medallion.

Attachments

• 100_1750.jpg
    100_1750.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_1753.jpg
    100_1753.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
TOTAL FAILURE

my glue up was all wrong, walls were too narrow, I couldn't spin round and true. And that was that.
I separated the top off, maybe Ill get a small little bowl out of it, at least the bottom maple piece.

Carbide chisels are sharp. Sharp as razor blades.

I thought I heard someone come in as I was working I looked up, no one. Went back to work, my left hand on tool rest, right hand holding chisel, as I turned to go back to work, I ran the blade of the chisel right across my finger and it slit it open nicely, almost with surgical precision.
Deep, and tons of blood. Lovely. Ok, had enough today.

yes, I take pics of everything.

Attachments

• bowlgonebad 003.jpg
    bowlgonebad 003.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 34
  • bowlgonebad 005.jpg
    bowlgonebad 005.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 32
  • bowlgonebad 010.jpg
    bowlgonebad 010.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 34
  • bowlgonebad 011.jpg
    bowlgonebad 011.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 31
  • bowlgonebad 013.jpg
    bowlgonebad 013.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Allen, I've never attempted a segmented bowl not sure how glue ups should be done...but I think I remember more pieces and 22.5 degree angles?? :huh:

Hope the finger heals up quick and you can get back out there. At least you know the chisel is sharp! :) :thumb:

To echo Jeff, I think you now see why most segmenters go with more than six pieces of wood per ring. ;) Looks like the bottom bowl part is going to work out nicely, though. :thumb:

Heal quickly, and always remember where the sharp parts are. ;)

yeah, you guys are right ofcourse, it was an experiment, invested a few hours,
Vaughn, Im constantly reminded which ends are sharp, and there aint nothing like a new carbide blade to show what sharp is.
this is why I don't shoot anymore.

did the same thing with a bowl gouge once. Didn't even realize I'd cut myself till I saw the juice coming out! I hope you get better quick. I've enjoyed watching your hollow form attempt. I don't have the patience for that!

my plumber/electrician was here before looking over the heating situation in the shop, and he noticed bandaids on half my fingers, he said whats up with that?
I told him wood turning is a bit more dangerous than most people think.
He said I should rethink my hobbies.
I told him yeah, I probably switch over to target shooting. He laughed at least.

anyway, good news is my daughter found an apartment today. she signs the lease Saturday, and asked me to come along so we(as in me) can measure a few spots and she cant wait for me to make her something now.

I have to put woodturning on hold, at least until we move her in, make a dinette set, a coffee table, and a TV stand. To start.

but setting up that mitre 5000, getting the 30 degrees exact, was not an easy chore, gonna have to now do it again with 15 degrees, as Ill probably steal away any pieces of left ever cherry and maple that are 3 inches wide in preparation for my next attempt.smaller, wider, and twice as many pieces to make each segment.

Last edited:
well although I only got in about 4 hours(yeah baby, Im thrilled), I managed to get a few things done.
I was saving the old coffee table top for I don't know what, but today it was what.
My daughter is getting her own apartment and I figured until I build her some furniture, she can use that top for a coffee table.
I used all the old 2x3's donated to me by the contractor he didn't use(pieces), to make the legs and apron. pocket screws, and when I finish her furniture, she can throw this into the trash.
I also managed to somewhat save the glued up bowl bottom. Made a small bowl, be good to hold keys or whatever. Ill give it to my daughter also. today 003.jpgtoday 006.jpg

I used the leftover stain from my sons office project, just so it wasn't bare wood for legs and apron, and that's one coat of clear Danish oil on the bowl.

No injuries, although I will admit first thing this morning I purchased the necessary safety equipment I need to prevent injuries to myself while I woodwork. A bit tough to move around in, but no boo boo's today.mini-suit-of-armor-xl (Small).jpg