Stain Suggestions for Hickory?

I don't have a lot of experience with stains.

I've finished the ash interior of my bookcases with Minwax Whitewash "pickling" stain on both plywood and wood. I like it. I can see the grain but it's very light.

Now I'm using some hickory for the exterior trim, but it's so pretty and has so many different light and darks, I'd like to use something different to better see the variation in colors in the grain. Does anyone have any suggestions? Something not too dark that I could buy at the local big box store.

Thank you

What is your expected wear factor? Oil / varnish blend on pecan; a close cousin:

Kit-Hut-(222).jpg

The pecan sides of this box are just done with clear shellac:

Bevy of Boxes (15).jpgBevy of Boxes (14).jpg

Last edited:
Cynthia, you can use the Minwax penetrating stain , after you wipe it on take a rag soaked with thinner , depending on how much you want to remove depends on the amount of thinner on the rag. Best to do a test area , Let the stain set about 5 minutes and then wipe off. Usually this will give you more of a grain look, wiping away the top wipes off the harder grain areas resalting in more grain
Oak table with hickory wiped stain;

I'd use a lot more of it if it wasn't such a pain to mill.

Amen to that. I did two large pieces and had to send out literally EVERY cutter I used on them; router bits, saw blades, etc. The only things that survived in a usable state were the carbide inserts in the spiral heads and I'm sure their life was shortened as well ;-)