New LV LH Edge Plane

Hey Doug,
Sounds interesting. What is the difference between A2 and O1 steels? Which do you think would be better for this application?

I asked myself the same question. If I recall, the A2 are supposed to hold an edge longer but take a bit longer to sharpen as the steel is harder. Back when they came out with the RH version and had their intro pricing I picked up the A2 version. I debated today on the LH and thought maybe I'd get the O1 so I'd have a direct comparison and if I really liked one over the other I'd order a replacement blade later. I ended up just ordering the A2 on this one as well.

Hey Doug,
Sounds interesting. What is the difference between A2 and O1 steels? Which do you think would be better for this application?

Rob Lee has always said A2 retains its edge better when the bevel is 30 degrees or more, otherwise O1 retains better.

I've also heard from many, that A2 is smooth, but O1 is smoother. Which probably has something to do with the extra time needed to hone A2.

What is the difference between A2 and O1 steels?
Technically, one is hardened with air (A2) and one with oil (O1). Metals that are air hardened are difficult to work with, where those hardened by oil are more forgiving.

As has been mentioned here, A2 is more difficult to sharpen, but will hold an edge longer. Each person needs to decide if that has value for their purpose or not.

I was trying to forge a piece of S7 recently, and it was most difficult to work with, and then I realized that it is also air hardened. I believe that is what makes it difficult to forge, since as you're forging it the air is actually hardening it, if that makes sense. I believe the air hardening aspect to an impediment for forging.

What is the difference between A2 and O1 steels?
Technically, one is hardened with air (A2) and one with oil (O1). Metals that are air hardened are difficult to work with, where those hardened by oil are more forgiving, at least it seems to me.

As has been mentioned here, A2 is more difficult to sharpen, but will hold an edge longer. Each person needs to decide if that has value for their purpose or not.

I was trying to forge a piece of S7 recently, and it was most difficult to work with, and then I realized that it is also air hardened. I believe that is what makes it difficult to forge, since as you're forging it the air is actually hardening it, if that makes sense. I believe the air hardening aspect to be an impediment for forging.

I would go with the A2 bladed ones personally. I also like cyrogenically treated plane blades but LV does not do that. They claim its a gimmick, Lie Nielsen claims its better.

Myself I think its better because some end mills and other metal working tooling is cyrogenically treated. Machine shops are very cost conscience so it makes sense that cyro treated tooling would last longer and the added cost could only be justified if it was true. Again, each has his own opinion and that is mine.

As for the plane itself, its a cool design. It would be a challenge to make, but it would look sharp in polished stainless steel :)

Last edited: