Building a New Router Fence.

Back in September I wanted to make a new router table fence. Well I got looking over what was available on Youtube and next thing I knew, I was building a router lift instead! Well things got a bit hectic and yesterday finally got to start work on the fence. I took ideas from several people that have posted on Youtube and came up with a fence that have the things I think every fence should have. JMHO of course!

The fence is 43" long (same as the table) 7" tall and 5 3/4" deep. I cut the opening wide enough to use the largest raised panel bit. When I cut the relief opening in the base, I cut back edge of it at a 45* angle to help with dust extraction. As you'll see in the photos I epoxied a PVC coupling in the dust box at about the same angle as the base of the fence to help get a lift to the dust and right into the dust tube. The coupler works well with or without a street 90 (one with only one flange to glue too) to connect the shop vac.

CIMG0412.jpgCIMG0416.jpgCIMG0415.jpgCIMG0424.jpgCIMG0420.jpg

On the front of the fence I glued a3"x43" piece to the top of the fence with a 3/4" groove for tomount the old "T" slot back in. Below that, I drilled 3,1/4"holes on each side of the opening in the fence. I put 1/4x20 boltsthrough with star knobs on the back of the fence to hold the slidingsacrificial fence, that I had routed a "T" slot in the back. I didthis so I didn't have to fuss with making slots in the fence.

CIMG0440.jpgCIMG0431.jpgCIMG0430.jpgCIMG0432.jpgCIMG0442.jpg

I used 3/4" birch and glued and stapled every thing together. In the 3rd and 4th pictures in the second set, you can see the sliding sacrificial sliders open and closed. Only thin left to do tomorrow is rout the grooves in the table top so I can add a couple of 12" "T" slot tracks for the fence adjustment front to rear. Hope all this rambling makes sense toeverybody! LOL

Looks really good. I need to do some t-track slots and a sacrificial fence on mine. I have a replaceable insert that slides in from above, but doesn't work so well with bits with bearings.

Great job Royal and thanks for posting the build. For sac-inserts and bearing bits I drill out clearance for the bearing/screwhead with a Forstner prior to making the plunge cut.

I've been planning to build one of these myself and your post has provided me with an excellent step-by-step guide on how to do it the right way! Thanks and great job!