Knee Replacement

Biting the bullet
I need my left knee replaced and the doc said when do you want to do this ?

So what I need to know ,,, what is the recover time ? back on your feet with a cane
I need to know how much time out of the shop before I can drive.

Dave

Everybody is different, Dave, including doctors. And it depends a great deal on your adherence to the physical therapy. I had a friend that had both done at different times by the same surgeon. The first went well. The second did not. Way too many variables. What does your Doc say about length of time to drive?

David, in this retirement area where I live knee and hip replacements and heart stints are common. In recent years the advancement in both the replacement hardware and operating techniques have advanced incredibly. You may be walking in the hospital the same day as the surgery and back to near normal in weeks. A friend had it done recently and was beaming with joy at his new found freedom, no more cane, crutches or limp. If you are hesitant, don't do it now. Your knee will tell you when it should be done. Good luck.

It's going to be that I'll leave the hospital when I finish in Recovery. From what the doc said. I don't have any problem with therapy, I've had a shoulder freeze up on me and not going to do that again. I trying to make up my mind to get it done in the next couple of weeks or wait till after the holidays.

im hoping to avoid replacement, good luck dave whenever you choose to do it.
Id do it as soon as possible, why delay.
Ive heard nothing but good things from everyone I know or through someone that had it done, diligent about physical therapy, it goes better.

someone also told me they wouldn't operate on someone because they wanted all his dental problems corrected before the surgery, not sure what that's all about, but that's what I was told. Maybe when the doctor asks you how you feel after surgery, he wants a nice smile?

Biting the bullet
I need my left knee replaced and the doc said when do you want to do this ?

So what I need to know ,,, what is the recover time ? back on your feet with a cane
I need to know how much time out of the shop before I can drive.

Dave

Determining factors: Amount of knee replaced, type of prosthetic used, surgeon skill, post op therapy, pain control, in room therapy all in the hospital. Post discharge: Quality of PT service, your dedication and compliance, pain control, your physical fitness level pre and post op.

someone also told me they wouldn't operate on someone because they wanted all his dental problems corrected before the surgery, not sure what that's all about, but that's what I was told. Maybe when the doctor asks you how you feel after surgery, he wants a nice smile?

Studies link poor oral health to an increased risk of heart disease...didn't write 'em...just read 'em.

My neighbor had both knees replaced at the same time. When he got home he had a walker, but was mobile. Physically he only shuffled around the house before the surgery, now he shuffles vigorously around the house, no cane or walker. But he wasn't a prime physical specimen to start.

A dental problem leaves a small amount of infection in the blood, which can interfere with healing elsewhere in the body. It is common to require dental problems to be fixed before surgery.

Our son had his knee rebuilt (sports accident). He hated the physical therapy, and tried to skip it, but we would not let him. Despite the pain of therapy, his knee is fully recovered, and he has played soccer on it.

So, bottom line, you may get some painting done when you come home, but you are apparently physically in good shape and should recover quickly. If you do all the PT you will have full function in remarkably short time.

David,

I have undergone two total knee replacements about 18 months apart. I was told by an orthopaedic surgeon to find out how many knee surgeries your doctor has done. After all, they are really woodworkers using a slightly different medium. So, practice makes perfect. Second, make sure he uses something called NAVIGATOR, which I believe is computer assist to ensure proper placement of the implant. This is important because if the implant is not properly load bearing bone will disappear and cause the implant to weaken.

However, after doctor competence the single biggest variable is the patient following the rehab program. Although only a one dog study every case of poor results I have heard of was the laziness in doing their rehab program.
In my two separate replacements they forced me to walk the next day and then rehab. The goal was 120% knee bending ( I do not know the correct term) and the ability to walk up and down stairs safely. In Japan, narcotics are usually not used, except for cancer. The first three days are the most difficult. Basically, I only received Leirica. I received Stryker knee replacements. Asked the why and he told me they were the biggest in Japan. Realize this is not all directly applicable to your case. Japan is not the US. But, hope it is helpful.

Dave,
We have a friend that we play cards with regularly... she had a full knee replacement earlier this year... When we first met her she weight close to 400 lbs, but has lost about half that weight... first she had the lap band/gastric bypass to help loose the weight before she had the knee surgery... last time we saw her, she was walking with no limp, no pain and no problems getting about. She was diligent with her rehab.

Same with my wife... hers was a full hip replacement, but by the time she finished her rehab, no limp, no problems with the hip.

Scheduled for the 22nd of Jan.
People say wait as long as you can, well I have and I want to enjoy life while I'm still a young 60 something, if I get 15 years out of it It's worth getting done a bit early .

Well Dave i am right behind you. I go in March by then its nearly spring . :) Been told to forget about driving for 6 weeks due to it being my right leg. I been going to gym to get the weight down and leg strength up so well worth prepping the leg muscles before hand.