Twenty Four Segment Board To Bowl

William Young

This is the bowl made from the 24 segment board I cut and glued up yesterday . Anything with a checker pattern seems to sell real good for me so I would imagine this one will get snapped up for seventy nine bucks real quick at my next craft sale this coming Saturday .

Nicely done as always, William. :thumb:

I must ask...do you ever get tired of that same shape? To me, the joy of woodturning is the endless array of forms one can make. The RingMaster method seems to limit the form choices considerably. Your take?

Nicely done as always, William. :thumb:

I must ask...do you ever get tired of that same shape? To me, the joy of woodturning is the endless array of forms one can make. The RingMaster method seems to limit the form choices considerably. Your take?

I never get tired of it for the simple reason 99% of people don't know about the "politically correct" dimensions that a bowl should be with bottom , middle and top supposed to be certain dimensions . Most woodworkers know what they should be but the average person coming to craft sales do not. They are looking for unique pattern design with nice colors of local and exotic woods and beautiful finish . Sold six hundred dollars worth of RM bowls this past Saturday in a little village 5 hour craft sale and expect to do better next Saturday at slightly bigger location .
The joy for me is the endless patterns and designs that can be made when making bowls from a flat board compared to hogging out the insides of a block of wood to make a one design bowl .

BTW , curved sided bowls can be made with a RM . I have made some myself . Slight curves from one board and more dramatic curves from parts of two boards. They take longer to make and are no better accepted and don't bring any more dollars than straight sided ones . . I have also made some nice curved vase's and hollow forms with the RM .
As long as people keep buying them up the way they are I will never get tired of the challenge of making new designs . The possibilities are endless with the RM .
Of course I have only made about 320 RM bowls and turnings so far. Maybe when I get up around 5 or 6 hundred I will start getting a little tired of it . :D

Maybe it's not your website it's the 2 links to your work in your signature.

On another note I've never seen or heard of the ring master before. I looked it up and it's a pretty neat tool. I'm going to add that to my wish list !!!

Maybe it's not your website it's the 2 links to your work in your signature.

On another note I've never seen or heard of the ring master before. I looked it up and it's a pretty neat tool. I'm going to add that to my wish list !!!

Thanks Bob.
Those links are just a small sampling of some of the stuff I have made since retiring . .
On my website I have the most comprehensive and complete forum on the internet about using a RM and lots of videos right from a piece of wood up to a finished bowl and everything in between.
If you ever get a RM you might want to look me up .

I never get tired of it for the simple reason 99% of people don't know about the "politically correct" dimensions that a bowl should be with bottom , middle and top supposed to be certain dimensions...

Good form has nothing to do with political correctness. :rolleyes: I don't necessarily subscribe to the standard formulas for dimensions of a turned piece either, and in fact have never measured any of my pieces to see if they fit anyone's formula. I prefer curved lines as opposed to straight ones, but that's a personal thing and has nothing to do with any "rules". For me, the challenge is coming up with a pleasing shape out of a solid piece of wood. It appears that for you, the challenge is coming up with interesting patterns of mixed wood species. I also enjoy the free-form aspect of using handheld cutting tools, whereas you seem to enjoy the challenge of very accurate dimensions and angles as you machine the wood.

That said, I know that I'd go nuts making the same shape over and over. I'm glad you've found a market for your work and enjoy manufacturing your bowls. :thumb: