Morning Sun Turkey calls, strikers

Those are great Dave. That spalt is outstanding! The ones with the contrasting strips look really good too. Just curious, how do you lay out the hole pattern on the bottom? When I do mine I have a 4 inch disk of plywood with finish nails left proud with the heads cut off. I mash it against the blank and it puts marks for drilling locations. I have two, one with an 8 hole pattern and one with 6.

John I made a medal template finally. 3/8" holes , I use to dowels. Drill the 1st center hole place a dowl peg and drill the 2nd and 2nd dowel peg to keep it from turning. Thanks John. I have a lot of that maple that will last many years. Lol

Nice calls Dave. Can you tell me is that spalted wood hard? Or have you had it stabalized? I am still trying to get to grips with spalting. Given its mold and the wood is essentially rotting, I keep thinking its all punky and soft. Obviously i am wrong so whats this wood like.?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Rob I do stabilize it by soaking this in wood hardner over night after I turn them. That hardner gets expensive. Right now I'm making a stabilizing cylinder to get it done more efficiently and quicker. I'll post the system when I have it finished.

Dave, I've been watching this with interest. How do turkey calls work? Duck calls...easy, but turkey stuff is out of my brain zone. BTW...if you need something stabilized...on the house!!

Couple of strikers, Burzilian rosewood and African Blackwood
Turned to a high polish. The way the African looks polished up is anything but black and the rosewood has beautiful figure.