Plumb Bob

Dan Mooney

I've never owned a Plumb Bob before, and never really had a need for one, but I was at our local Iron Monger the other day and saw this piece of Hex Brass Rod 1¼" across the flats, and it spoke to me.

Pic.01.jpg

I turned a recess to inset the wood piece, I didn't get a picture of it but I drilled and tapped a hole in the center.
Pic.02.jpg

Turned it around and tapered it.
Pic.03.jpgPic.04.jpg

I turned a cap the same way but I forgot to take a picture of it.

I soldered a eyelet into a 5/16 brass bolt to hold everything together
Pic.05.jpg

added a piece of Rosewood and screwed it together
Pic.06.jpg

flushed it all up, I haven't located my buffing compound, when I do I'll polish it. It's about 5" long.
Pic.08.jpg

And it's plumb!
Pic.10.jpg

Last edited:
:thumb: Most excellent Dan! You won't find one half as nice anywhere around. That's a piece for the history books right there, someday some collector is going to be trying to figure out who the make was. You ought to stamp a makers mark into the side of it.

Looks like a nice little metal lathe, grizzly?

:thumb: Most excellent Dan! You won't find one half as nice anywhere around. That's a piece for the history books right there, someday some collector is going to be trying to figure out who the make was. You ought to stamp a makers mark into the side of it.

Looks like a nice little metal lathe, grizzly?

Thanks all for the comments it was fun to make.

It's a Grizzley lathe, works well but under powered (½hp), which is probably good, keeps you from getting too aggressive with the cuts.