Huuuuuge Bubinga slab available

tim Rowledge

I visited my local (-ish, if you count 30 miles away as local) Windsor Plywood store this morning and discovered that they have another enormous slab of bubinga on offer. They claim it's 173 bd.ft. of 8/4; it appears to be a touch over 5ft wide and 17ft long.

A touch expensive at C$7500 but just gorgeous. It works out as C$43/ bd.ft which isn't outrageous for sucha specimen I guess.

If you know where you can find a customer for a 17ft boardroom table, or a pair of 8+ft dining tables maybe you should think about it. Call Windsor Plywood in Nanaimo, BC. And believe me, if I were associated with them in any way I'd be using my influence to get it at a discount and not telling you lot about it! :)

Hi Tim,
It must be a wonderful board to behold, can't imagine the tree it came from or the effort to get it here. Somebody is going to have a lifetime supply of pen blanks!:rofl:
Thanks,
Shaz

pictures!

I wish I could; no camera with me at the time. The best I can do is attach a pic of the somewhat smaller but possibly better figured slab the same store had about a year ago.

I'm having real trouble not buying it; I keep seeing a pair of magnificent tables. I see price tags like $12k in a Vancouver gallery. Then I wake up and realise I just don't have the time to do such a job justice.

Attachments

• P5260012.jpg
    P5260012.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 64
That's not lumber!
Thats natural art that should be hung on a wall, AS-IS. Seriously. It would be a shame to tear up a board like that.

Of course...it would take a pretty significant wall anchor.... :D

Personally, I would have a total nervous breakdown touching such a piece of wood with a blade of any kind. Too darn scared I would mess up a cut.

It would be a site to see a piece that large though.