Shellawax Cream

What kind of flatwork? Shelawax is a shellac/wax blend that relies on the heat from friction to bring out a shine, and compared to other finishes, it's not very durable. It looks pretty on something that doesn't get handled, but I'd not put it on anything that sees any use.

What kind of flatwork? Shelawax is a shellac/wax blend that relies on the heat from friction to bring out a shine...

Gee, I don't know....a box? I was looking at was on p. 310, and on the next page I saw the Shellawax. It says it's "suitable for a range of applications, from larger turnings to carvings or furniture, it hand-buffs to a semi-gloss sheen" and "works into crevices and moldings." I just thought it might be something interesting to try if the lathe isn't required......

I have used the stuff on turnings and in my view even on turnings its not easy to get it to come to life. I certainly would not like to try it on a naked piece of say a coffee table top and expect to polish that out to some sort of shining finish. Maybe if i used an automotive polisher buff i might try but as said there are other methods way easier and with longer lasting results.
The product in my view has very good marketing material rather powerful and convincing but my own practical experience did not leave me thinking this is an easy go to finish. My 2 c

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The product is little more than shellac with a heavy wax content. It won't make a durable finish for anything that'll be handled or subjected to wear.

Pure shellac will be more durable, but will still not be water and alcohol resistant on a table top. For that, you need a good lacquer, varnish, or :eek: Polyurethane finish. Target's EM8000 waterborne conversion varnish is what I'd use, or if you prefer solvent based, then maybe Behlen's Rock Hard Tabletop Finish.

Sad, but true, Bart. Miss Sophy and Becky. They had a nice place for the BBQ. Great bunch of folks met there. Its where I met Wally Dickerson who became my turning mentor.