Started a little milling today with Lucas. This is a 8' x 27" red maple that I've had in my spalting pile for around 2 years. This is a side shot after we knocked most of the bark off side.jpg, and here's an end shot. end.jpgcloser.jpg You can see the middle had started to rot when it was standing. Here's a couple of shots of some of the goodness that was inside. top.jpg20141207_152831.jpg I cut a slab 3" that I'll process into turning blanks. One side of the slab had some white rot started. That's the scourge for spalting wood it gets punky quick. Here's one that causes white rot, turkey tail fungus.fun guy.jpg

Wow! That's really cool John. Jsut curious, is there something special about where your spalting pile is that helps to encourage spalting to occur? Or does it just happen?

Wow! That's really cool John. Jsut curious, is there something special about where your spalting pile is that helps to encourage spalting to occur? Or does it just happen?

I'd like to be able to say that I have a top secret one of a kind spalting location, but alas it just happens! Mine is at the edge of the woods in a shaded low spot that stays damp. I have taken plane jane maple cut in 2x2 blocks before and used jointer shavings from a spalted board in a garbage bag and spalted them in around 6 months. I'd check on them every month or so and sprinkle some water in the bag to keep the moisture up.

Thanks Ted, it's fun milling and the mill has been a workhorse.

with all the spalted maple I purchased, I noticed most of the finest looking spalting is located at the ends of each piece, not as much in the center.
Im guessing the fungus works its way in from the ends?

I've noticed that too Allen. The best spalt I usually get is from the ends and about the first 2-3 inches inside the log. I've cut the ends off and the first few inches off the log and put it back in the spalt pile before so it could do some more spalting. This log has been down for probably close to 3 years and the center is as solid as the day I cut it, except for the hollow spot. It takes a lot longer for logs to rot than I thought!