It's Friday! 12/12/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Has been a long week, looking forward to the weekend here. Tonight we don't have a lot planned, but tomorrow our grandson starts overnight visitations with his dad, so finally have a Saturday off. We've got some breakfast and xmas shopping planned, then have my company's xmas party. Sunday I'm planning to finish up some xmas decorating, maybe brew some more red ale and keg some sparkling water. Hope to get a little more shop time too.

What's everyone else got going?

My usual Saturday event tomorrow... Holiday Market... the weather is supposed to start off at 28 deg, warming up to about 51 mid afternoon, then back down when it gets dark. Sunday just kick back, hopefully count the money:D and watch football.

Gotta go pick out a tree, a painful annual ritual. The missus likes to hit every tree sale lot within a fifty mile radius and look at each and every tree as I turn it to various angles (OK, that's an exaggeration. We only did that once, a couple of years ago.) Finally, we will return to the guys just down the road that we buy from every year and choose one of the two 14' trees they have set aside for us. They will deliver it to our back deck and then the real fun begins.

another boring weekend. an hour worth of wiping on finish, then nothing else planned besides dinner Saturday evening with friends.
thought Id be the truck driver this weekend as my daughter had planned on moving Saturday and sunday.

Movie night at home tonight...Christmas Vacation of course. Tomorrow morning we are going for a hike in the woods at a preserve close to town. Heading tot he woodturners group meeting in the afternoon with my dad and the other 40 or so members. Not sure what the demo is about, but the member doing it has always taught me something new and funny at the same time in the past. Saturday night with the warmer weather I think a fire outside is in order with smores for the girl and a hot toddy of some kind for me and the Mrs. Sunday is Packer football and chili and shop time after the game too as I have a few sold cutting boards to finish up.

Time for a sharpening session. Got over a dozen planes to sharpen, and a whole bunch of chisels. Probably take most of an afternoon at the Tormek.

One advantage of having a lot of planes - when you're working a project, and a plane dulls, I just set it aside and pick up another one. Eventually, they all get dull, though...

Also, gotta bring the Christmas tree in from the barn, and set it up in the living room to 'acclimate.' After it sits, and shakes out for a couple days, the wife will attack trimming it.

The missus and I are both nursing head colds, so activities are probably going to be a pretty limited this weekend. I do expect to spend a bunch of quality time messing around with some new guitar gear that Santa brought early. :guitar: Might go out tonight for a while to see the band I occasionally sub for. Need to catch up on several Peyton Place situations happening among the band members, lol. :rolleyes:

Saturday evening we're going to see the Nutcracker presented at the historic KiMo theatre downtown. I think this will be the first ballet either of us have attended.

Sunday is an open book that we'll read when we get to it. ;)

Raining here. Which is a good thing. Staying in today and try to get a jump on next week. Also have to tackle end of the year things. A day at the keyboard. Tomorrow is the wood turning club's Christmas party. Didn't get anything turned so will contribute a chunk for someone else to turn. Then a hair appointment. In the evening, meeting with friends for an annual Christmas event at a local church. Then chili and goodies at Phil's. Sunday is special. I will be formally installed as Pastor at the church I am working in. The Bishop presides and this was the first date on his calendar we could get. Sunday evening is a Vesper service with all our choirs and other musical talent performing.

Then only 7 more services through Christmas Eve. I think I will be very busy. Fortunately I only have to preach at one of them. Nice to have staff to share the load.

Len, one of the guys on our local meeting group list, stopped by this morning to look at how I have my shop set up. He has a dedicated shop building and is adding to his tool collection as he gets closer to retirement. We had a nice visit and it will be interesting to see how he handles his additions.

My wife and I attended an orientation at the Sheriff's Department Thursday night to qualify to use their shooting range for practice. A friend and I plan to go out this afternoon to warm up a little.

Saturday will be some shop cleanup and turning practice.

Sunday should be the usual brunch, being lazy and watch the wind blow!

Not a thing. This is the first week end since Oct 15th that I won't be busy now that Medicare open enrollment is over. My Cardinals won last night so no game to watch this Sunday, no Napcar race on and I got all the decorating done yesterday so this week end is chill out time. Maybe make a nice big ole pot of soup...;)

Shop time for me, both, the out-building in my backyard and the borg...need to make a run for lag screws, wood screws, a dowel for a handle, to prepare for the vise mounting. Think I'm going to add a layer or two of MDF after reading about Glenns 3" top, might make the bench side vise wood easier to layout in an ordely looking fashion. Besides, I've gone this far, may as well build it as Larry would say> 'Stout".

Caught a break on outside decorating this year, the wife wants to go thru all of ours and those she salvalged after her mom & sis passed, to decide what to keep, toss or donate.

Pancakes Sunday morning is becoming a tradition here, then a little more shop time until the Lions suit up for the 4ish o'clock game against the Vikings...

Last edited:
Not a lot.

I still have a little leave cleaning in the yard

Saturday is Family day at my daughters house.

Sunday maybe a little work on the remodeling. I installed trim in my breezeway this week and it needs to be spackled, sanded and painted.