A very special project to me - may I?

Hide glue Jason? Sure glad that's what I used, especially on the bridge...I've taken the bridge off 4 times trying to figure out why my pegs kept sailing off...come to realize the bridge support was too thick and not allowing the ball end anywhere to go except straight inline with the peg :bang:
The old hair dryer made simple work of removal :thumb:

Nice! LOL

The luthiers I've been able to meet with locally have all been universally fine with using PVA glues on the "removable" things when it comes to solid body electrics and the like. They say a little steam and you're good. Someone also mentioned that denatured alcohol, too - though I will need to test that theory myself.

On acoustics, hide glue for sure when setting the neck, fretboard and bridge. I think. Then again, I have only built 1.65 guitars thus far :)

You know, i haven't found it either - but the puddle skins up FAST. So I try to work as quickly as possible. It behaves a fair bit like medium CA when it comes to dry time but it's more like rubber cement when it comes to physical behaviors. Stringy filaments flying everywhere off the brush.

Part 20 - holy cow! More fretboard attention! First I see how the binding turned out and flush that up. Then I radius the face. After that, side fret marker layout, drilling and installation.

Part 21! This episode, I clean up the side dot inlays, start cleaning out the fret slots a little but then move on (bored? I guess!) to the neck. We fit the truss rod with a method I'm kinda proud of. I doubt it's original, but it worked very well and I hadn't seen it done anywhere else. Came out good!

I've followed all installments of your build, Jason, but I've gotta say that the business of cleaning of the fret slots, man, I can't see how you could do that. That has to be the fiddliest job I could imagine, and I only have to watch you do it. Necessary, no doubt, but that would test the patience of Job. Bravo, Jason!

BTW, that a really nice method of setting the truss rod.

In honor of Eric Clapton​'s 70th birthday, a special release of the guitar build video series... Early!

Happy birthday, Eric, and may you have many more. Thank you for the inspiration, the motivation and the musical therapy you've given me since I was a kid.

This video is a pretty good one, too. Lots of work done on the neck - getting the tenon fitted into the body properly.

Part 23!

First, a quick cleanup of the outer edges of the body to prepare for the binding. Then we steam out some dents and dings on the surface - got some great footage of that. After that, I finish cleaning up the fret slots on the fretboad. Finally, the loose fit of the neck tenon bugs me enough to redo it with a FAR better fit and get the neck angle set properly. This was a big one!

Another big episode - in this one, I get the fretbard cut to length and install binding on the end of the fretboard. Then I route the rabbet for the binding on the body and give a quick overview of the body routing jig.

After that, I start doing binding installation on the body and while the glue's drying, I start the process of shaping the back of the neck. Finally, we see the results of binding the body and get another lesson the hard way.

See, this is what distinguishes a good woodworker from a not-so-good ww. I have absolute faith that your solution will be a good one, and, moreover, you'll be the only one who will ever know the difference.

In general, how much more work have you done that hasn't made it into the videos? Specifically, how much time do you have into the jigs? Are they mostly of your own design or what...?

And, have you ever had a different trim router or only the Colt?

See, this is what distinguishes a good woodworker from a not-so-good ww. I have absolute faith that your solution will be a good one, and, moreover, you'll be the only one who will ever know the difference.

You're very kind - i do have some confidence that I'll find an acceptable solution. I'm not in any rush - and I'll work out the right way. I'm pretty sure the problem was just lack of glue and bad clamping.

In general, how much more work have you done that hasn't made it into the videos? Specifically, how much time do you have into the jigs? Are they mostly of your own design or what...?

I've been wondering when I would get asked this. From day one of the build the only things I had already were the vertical edge routing rig and the fretboard radiusing template. All the other templates and jigs I've used up to this point were created and shown in the series. Most of those were templates and such, nothing as elaborate as the edge routing rig. There is another rig coming up soon that I built before I started this and that was the fret wire bender.

If you ignore those jigs/rigs (machines, really) there isn't much footage on the cutting room floor. I intentionally leave in almost all of it. I'm starting to blush over the repetition more and more just because there's already 10 minutes of footage on something in previous videos but I try not to do that too much. The way I see it, not every viewer will have watched all ELEVEN HOURS of video for this build so far, so I try not to miss the details just because I'd covered 'em before. There may be a grand total of 5-7% more footage in this build that you all haven't been able to see. Most of that was because I forgot to hit record :p

And, have you ever had a different trim router or only the Colt?

That's the only trim router i've had, yeah. I like it - but wish the depth mechanism were a little more stable. Loosening the body can often times see some pretty big leaps as the router drops a good 1/8" or more sometimes. I've gotten better at predicting which way to keep it twisted so that doesn't happen (to keep the screw threads engaged on the height adjuster). All in all, it's a fine router, though..

Thanks for watchin' :)

Jason I have really enjoyed following along on your build. I notice that you use a lot of blue painters tap and I am wondering if you have ever tried the stretch #8886 tape from Scotch? It works really well and might be of use to you sometimes.
Screen Shot 2015-04-15 at 10.29.17 AM.jpg

I haven't used it yet, no ... does it tear easily? I wouldn't want to have to fetch a knife or scissors for each strip I've got to cut off (hundreds?). I've got blue and green painters that I use most, and I picked up a roll of stewmac's binding tape which has no stretch but tears easy.