Hello everyone

My name is Patrick, I just joined and wanted to say hi and share some pictures of the coffee table I made for my sister last Christmas.
e8299528afcd651ffe0b4d12a92d941d.jpg
5b732182ac3d0ced708bb4c0eab10605.jpg
98dc3cfd55f3345b4da433a74d54899b.jpg
bf2188bb0fc3f6c192ffadb31871c1e7.jpg

Welcome to the Family, Patrick! :wave:

That's a nice looking table! I'm sure your sister is enjoying having it. Please give us more details about it. :thumb:

This was the first piece of furniture I made. I drew up the design by myself. It is solid oak all mortise tenon joints. The top is hinged for easy access to keepsakes that can be displayed. The bottom of the display case is lined with turquoise glass pebbles. These pics were taken right before I surprised her with it Christmas morning, that is why nothing was inside to be displayed.

Nice table. Does the glass just lay in the recesses, or is it glued/fastened?

How thick is the glass? Tempered?

Years ago - like 60 years ago - my Father-in-Law built a similar table using glass blocks instead of panes. We thought it was pretty neat - you could remove a block, turn it over, and use it to hold popcorn or chips.

The glass is 1/4 plate glass cut to 10X10 squares. They sit flush with the wood and are held in with clear silicone. I had originally planned on using tempered glass until I got a price quote.

Welcome Patrick. I am jealous. I have been pondering a 'display table' for longer than I care to admit. It is for some family items I have that I would like to have viewable but, don't want to dust around ;-) I think you'll find we have a good crowd here.

welcome Patrick, thanx for sharing your woodworking, we expect to see a lot more from you in the future.
aint nothing as rewarding as making something with your own hands for a loved one.

I like display tables. I have seen some very neat displays such as; 1) Cival war pistols, 2) Buttons. A Bazillion buttons, many old enough that they were hand made, military buttons, celluoid buttons, bone buttons, etc. Each of them had a history and a story. The lady was a friend of my Wife; however we had never been in her home before. We literally spent hours entranced by her button display and the coffee table that displayed them. That was probably 50+ years ago and I still remember it clearly---I was impressed.

You have made a beautiful, powerful piece of furniture.

Enjoy,
JimB