White oak hall mirror

Don't know why, but I decided to make a hall/entryway mirror, coat catcher. I guess the inspiration was a couple of 12x12 mirrors I found when I was digging for something else. The oak is some I cut off the property. Still trying to decide about what hooks to use for the bottom. I've got it sanded down and ready to finish. It's not glued up yet, I think the finishing will be easier apart.
hall.jpg

Attachments

• 20141214_142316.jpg
    20141214_142316.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 41
Very nice John, this is an item i think many of the guys making crafts and selling them could well look at as a product that is desirable and I believe could sell well.

What sort of finish you going to go with?

I think some nice turned oak round pegs would go well. Something like below but oak to match or go with a dark wood for contrast.

$_57.JPG

Thanks Guys.

I've got it finished and drying in the clamps. I'll get a few pics and post later today. The finish I used was dye, gel stain, and lacquer for the top coat.

Rob, I thought about using pegs, but I've decided to look for some "mission" coat hooks. After I started making this I thought the same about selling a few. I think they would batch out well. I've got 1.20 in the glass, .75 in the hanging hardware. I cut the wood, so the cost is easy less than .25 bd/ft and I used about 5 bd/ft (1x8x8). I haven't found the hooks yet so I don't know that cost. I don't know the finish cost, but I wouldn't think it's over 5.00. Just guessing, I've got between 10 and 15 bucks in it.