Hanger Bolt ..turned leg question.

Rob Keeble

Help... please need some advice on hanger bolt length.

I am in the process of setting up to make my own 4 inch diameter 4.5" high turned legs from maple that will be attached to the bottom of our couches to raise them higher.

Something like this but no flutes.

http://www.lowes.ca/table-leg-hardw...-fluted-bun-foot-wood-table-leg_g1201593.html

will be using leg plates http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=41854&cat=3,43586,43590

to attach to couch.

Now my question is how long should i make my hanger bolt ?

I have various lengths in my hardware stock.

My bad, thanks for your reply Jim but once again i was not clear on my question.

I am actually wanting to know how long i should have the screw part screwed into the wood.

Example in the same thickness 5/16 i have 1.5" length bolt where screw thread is 7/8 of hat 1.5"

then i have 3" long 5/16" bolts where the screw thread (not machine thread) is 1 and 3/8" long.

Will have to cut the machine threaded end on both but wondering which to choose to use?

Hope this is clearer. Leg height is going to be around 4.5 "

The strength of this whole combo is really how well the nut is secured in the leg plate and i have them on hand already.

BTW if anyone ever wants to use these , get the lee valley ones they way better than lowes, cheaper and thicker plate with extra hole not that its needed in my application but every screw counts.

Agree with Jim. Have parts in hand before making any decision.

That said. Rule of thumb for fasteners is 1.5 times the thickness of the piece being fastened penetration into the piece doing the holding.

However, when it is a metal plate, that rule is silly. I would however penetrate a distance of 2/3's the available thickness of the holding piece. My rule of thumb for that application.

But also depends on angle of stress. Is leverage type stress expected? Or is it sheer stress only? Leverage asks for more penetration. Sheer for larger diameter of the fastener.

I did not look up your fastener so I am answering by way of general application, much as an instructor would, leaving it to you to think about what you want to do.

So, thanks for letting me shine some light and stir up some obfuscation. :rolleyes: :D :eek: :huh: :doh:

Thank you Carol and Jim, thats what i was going to do following the "if in doubt" principle. :rofl: Thought i might check first though.

I gotta say i am in doubt about how well this connection will take the visiting lineman when he comes home and flops on the couch. Then he might just get :deadhorse:

....I gotta say i am in doubt about how well this connection will take the visiting lineman when he comes home and flops on the couch.....

When I first got married I built our couch, using rubber webbing straps and clips, those anchor plates and some store bought legs a lot flimsier than the ones you are making. I can assure you that that connection will take all the 'flopping' you want to throw at it....and then some! :D:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Thanks Ted thats just the kind of news i was hoping for.:thumb:

On the other hand, we've got two large couched that have at least one broken leg each due to 90-100 pound dogs jumping up on the couch to look out the front window. And I thought they had good connections. Never underestimate the damage potential from boisterous kids and animals. :)