Drill Bit Stuck in Ryobi Drill...Now what? HELP!!

Jeff Bower

Last night I was drilling a 1/2 hole and used my Ryobi drill. Drilled the hole and went to take out the bit....can't loosen the chuck. Any ideas?

BTW, it's still under warranty, but I can't find my receipt to take it to HD...think I would need it?

Keyless, and using the motor to release the chuck...always done it that way. Is that not the right thing to do? :huh: Will give it a go tonight with 2 hands...

I had that happen on my old DeWalt 14.4 1/2" drill sometime back. I ended up putting the chuck in the wood vise and then pulling the trigger by just "tapping" it. It seemed using your hand didn't transfer the shock needed to loosen the chuck. I guess you could say your hand acted like shock absorber. YMMV

Yeah, two hands if the chuck is in two sections. From a manual:

Keyless Single Sleeve Chuck (Fig. 6–8)
WARNING: Do not attempt to tighten drill bits (or any other
accessory) by gripping the front part of the chuck and turning the
tool on
. Damage to the chuck and personal injury may result. Always
lock off trigger switch and disconnect tool from power source when
changing accessories.

I'm sure we all do this to snug the bit and to change the chuck openings for different size shanks but, hand twisting to tighten and to loosen is the rule. Your drill motor doesn't like being used to final-tighten or unlock the bit any more than it likes being ground to a halt under power. Its hard on the tool. I know we all see folks do this on a regular basis. These may also be the folks that complain about a tools quality after 6 months of abuse :D. I do use this method when installing hex shank driver bits since they only need to be snug for my use. Anything that needs to be torqued down in a keyless chuck should be done by hand as far as any manual I can find. This would include nearly all loosening operations, no? I try to follow this every time and may succeed 80-90% of the time :eek:.

Yeah, two hands if the chuck is in two sections. From a manual:

Keyless Single Sleeve Chuck (Fig. 6–8)
WARNING: Do not attempt to tighten drill bits (or any other
accessory) by gripping the front part of the chuck and turning the
tool on
. Damage to the chuck and personal injury may result. Always
lock off trigger switch and disconnect tool from power source when
changing accessories.

I'm sure we all do this to snug the bit and to change the chuck openings for different size shanks but, hand twisting to tighten and to loosen is the rule. Your drill motor doesn't like being used to final-tighten or unlock the bit any more than it likes being ground to a halt under power. Its hard on the tool. I know we all see folks do this on a regular basis. These may also be the folks that complain about a tools quality after 6 months of abuse :D. I do use this method when installing hex shank driver bits since they only need to be snug for my use. Anything that needs to be torqued down in a keyless chuck should be done by hand as far as any manual I can find. This would include nearly all loosening operations, no? I try to follow this every time and may succeed 80-90% of the time :eek:.

Guess I probably knew this...but never really paid attention to it. :doh:Thanks!:thumb:

Guess I probably knew this...but never really paid attention to it. :doh:Thanks!:thumb:

I've known it for years. And ignored it. :D Heck, I was using the "hand grip" method even before keyed chucks were popular. I do use the key on bigger drills, lathes, and drill presses. My current drill press has a keyless chuck, and someday I'll swap it out for a keyed chuck just because it's easier for me to get things good and tight with a key.

I've known it for years. And ignored it. :D Heck, I was using the "hand grip" method even before keyed chucks were popular. I do use the key on bigger drills, lathes, and drill presses. My current drill press has a keyless chuck, and someday I'll swap it out for a keyed chuck just because it's easier for me to get things good and tight with a key.

Great minds think alike...errr...nevermind :p

...... buy a Makita....? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I knew someone would say that...didn't think it would take that long to be honest. :rofl::D:) I agree, you get what you pay for, but this drill was a gift and I've had nothing but success with all my Ryobi tools. I don't abuse them (at least I didn't think I was :eek:) and they have worked great for me.

I'll work on it tonight...thanks for all the ideas and help everyone!:thumb:

:rolleyes: I knew someone would say that...didn't think it would take that long to be honest. :rofl::D:) I agree, you get what you pay for, but this drill was a gift and I've had nothing but success with all my Ryobi tools. I don't abuse them (at least I didn't think I was :eek:) and they have worked great for me.

I would back that up. I have four Ryobi woodworking tools, as well as a pressure washer and a grass trimmer. They all work fine for me at my level of woodworking. Like you, I don't ask them to do more than they are capable of.

I wonder if a scrap of rubber or canvas used to pad the chuck while you grab it with a pair of channel-locks would get it started? You'll need to slip something into the fan or other available area to keep the motor from turning. although a sudden jolt is often better for breaking something loose than a slow torque I would be hesitant to jolt a small drill motor. Good luck.