It's Friday! 12/19/2014 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
TGIF. I got into work early today, so you know what that means...I'll be working late too. ;) We've got my family's xmas this weekend, so I've been scrambling around getting things cleaned, shopping finished, and projects done (pics later). I'm off all next week, so will be lots of shop time, sweet, sweet shop time.

What's on everyone else's plate this weekend?

Family movie night again tonight...something christmasy...it was Christmas vacation last Friday. Tomorrow I'll be in the garage until I finish a chalkboard scoreboard for my neice and nephew's back yard. My nephew asked me to make one this summer...but I told him it'd have to wait until next summer. :D Saturday night we are having a little xmas part with some friends and all our kids. 8 adults and 8 kids in 1 house...most of the adults will be out by the firepit while the kids destroy the house, glad it's not at our house! Sunday will be football and probably finishing up the scoreboard. I work Monday and then until 3 on Tuesday...then off until the 29th!!

Going on a church trip to see the lights in Niagara Falls tonight, tomorrow helping my daughter move if she makes up her mind she could use me and my truck, and holding a Christmas open house on Sunday. No woodworking or thinking about woodworking this weekend. Oh, this afternoon I will be having a toilet installed to replace the one that ceased to function yesterday. Can't have 23 people at your house with only one toilet. Don't know if I mentioned the dishwasher leak that caused us to have our lovely laminate floors torn up by the insurance repair guys. Our guests will be walking about on subfloor... :rolleyes:

Last minute Christmas scrambling. Spent the last two days making brittle for the neighbors while the missus tried to make her mother's fruitcake recipe. No light molasses or dehydrated mince meat to be found anywhere in town. Oh, and cereal mix..gallons of it...for family and friends. Sometime in between scrambling I will work on the router planer sled so I can use some of those cherry slabs leaning up against the wall.

As of about 2:00 this afternoon, Kian and I will officially be homeowners again. :woohoo: I'll be spending a fair amount of time this weekend measuring and planning everything from backyard wall improvements to kitchen remodeling. First order of business will be to put new locks on the place. That'll happen after work today. :thumb:

Hopefully Saturday I'll find time to go to an auto glass place and get the rear quarter window replaced on my pickup. Some punk lowlife decided to break the window just for grins very early Thursday morning. Our normally quiet dog woke us up with his barking, but we didn't know why until after sunrise when Kian took the dog for a walk and spotted the broken window. As I mentioned yesterday on Facebook, the next time the dog alerts us with barking like that, I will be stepping out front with Mr. Mossberg making his infamous 12 gauge "throat clearing" sound. ;)

And in my spare time I'll be brushing up some stuff on my guitar and continuing to tweak my new guitar amp/effects rig. We have a gig next Tuesday and my old buddy Mikey Wright is in town and will be coming to see us play. I need to make a good showing. Mikey is from Albuquerque, but has lived in LA for years now. He's currently working on "The Voice" as a guitar tech and backup guitarist.

... I hope the window breaking wasn't in your new neighborhood.

Nah, it was at the apartment where I've lived for the past 3 years. There have been a number of "incidents" with vehicles in our parking lot. This is my fourth or fifth. Broken driver side window and stolen property, passenger door lock jacked with twice (after the second time I can't even get a key in the slot) pried open gas filler door and broken gas cap in an unsuccessful attempt to siphon gas, and a keyed driver side mirror housing. One of my neighbors lost all four tires and wheels on her car one night, and at least one other has had broken windows. I think the pickup is gonna be parked in the new garage for the time being, just to get it out of sight.

Been doing a bit of SketchUp practice for a couple of days modeling a box to hold gun cleaning supplies. Milled some of the Michigan chocolate today along with some maple for the box.

Saturday will be a bit of shop time, then whatever LOML says is next.

Sunday should be nothing but some relaxation!!!!!