Improved Skewed Segment Bowls

William Young

Hey , I think I'm catching on to this skewed segment concept . . .lol . .

Previous ones had every other one either small or large in the bottom of the bowl . This time they are all even and exactly the same width.

Also , I didn't care for the 3/4" thick foot I put on previous ones so this time I made them 3/8" thick . All in all I believe the improvements were worthwhile in the learning curve of doing skewed segments . Now I will be able to work on some other plans I have up my sleeve of making them this way and use more variety in wood colors and patterns .

William, those are fantastic!!!!! I haven't seen your previous ones, but these are a home run! I for one would like to see your process for creating these. My advanced wood turning students turn bowls and this would add a new twist to their assignment.

William, those are fantastic!!!!! I haven't seen your previous ones, but these are a home run! I for one would like to see your process for creating these. My advanced wood turning students turn bowls and this would add a new twist to their assignment.

Thanks for the comments .
As much as I would love to go into detail about making those skewed segmented ones , time just doesn't allow me to start a topic on the process in other sites than my own where I show the finished product because a topic like that can run into many pages of discussion to get to the bottom of it.
As an example , there is one thread on my Woodworking Friends site that is eight pages long dedicated solely to discussing how to accurately cut the segments that way and achieve that effect as well as a few threads that are only three or four pages long . .

But like anything else , once learned it is easy peasy :D

I am still searching for a way to invent a 36 hour day where I can go for about 30 hours before getting tired . . lol . .:)