Outdoor Scorboard

Jeff Bower

My nephew asked me this past summer if I could make him a scoreboard for his back yard. He has a HUGE back yard that is perfect for baseball, football, soccer, etc. All the neighborhood kids end up there during the warmer months to play some sport. I told him it would have to wait until next summer as I was to busy with other things. Of course I knew all along I would be making it for Christmas.

After some google and pinterest image searching, this is what I've come up with so far. The board is a 1/4" hardboard with chalkboard paint applied...lots of blue tape and measuring, more paint and a simple pine frame. All that is left is some clean up and applying the vinyl letters for Home, Visitor, Balls, strikes, outs and of course the numbers above for the innings. I also made tray for chalk and an eraser and a marquee shaped board to attach to the top that will say "The Penn" as his backyard is known. (last name is Pennington) It will hang on the side of the garage under the eave out of the weather so I hope it will last for quite awhile. He'll first open some chalk and an eraser and then I'll bring it in as it's a bit big to wrap...just over 4' x 2'. I'll post some finished pics and one of him with it after Christmas.

Attachments

• 20141221_113801.jpg
    20141221_113801.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20141221_173757.jpg
    20141221_173757.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 47
I have to admit my first thought was that I didn't know kids still played outside these days with all the computer games and gadgets!

But that looks like a great present, and should result in marginally less 'discussions' about what the score actually is!

Thanks Guys!:thumb:

I have to admit my first thought was that I didn't know kids still played outside these days with all the computer games and gadgets!

But that looks like a great present, and should result in marginally less 'discussions' about what the score actually is!

Brent, I use to think the same thing...but in his neighborhood there is quite a bit of outside play. They just play for awhile and then head inside to play video games too...or they meet up online and play games. :)

What no 7 segment super bright LEDS??? And no wifi app /internet interface to update it with a cell phone while in the game. ??? :eek::D:rofl:

But i guess it is energy efficient and environmentally sound and will work when the power and internet are no longer around. :thumb:

Well done Jeff, now if only i had a uncle like you. You're one :cool: DUDE man !!!!

Thanks again for all the kind words.:thumb:

Finished it up last night...our Christmas is tomorrow night. Can't wait to see his face.

Attachments

• 20141222_190846.jpg
    20141222_190846.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 21
I'll be the first to ad-mitt that you scored a home run with this one. Really knocked it out of the park. And not a moment too soon...talk about sliding into home in the 9th inning. How are you gonna hang it? The other guys here will probably bat around a bunch of different ideas, but I'm thinking a cleat system would provide good support. :D

Thanks again guys! :thumb:

Vaughn, I'm going to suggest a cleat to hang it as well. My BIL was talking about a couple hooks and some chain. I haven't looked close to where it will hang so that might work better. :dunno:

Thanks again guys! :thumb:

Vaughn, I'm going to suggest a cleat to hang it as well. My BIL was talking about a couple hooks and some chain. I haven't looked close to where it will hang so that might work better. :dunno:

Sheesh, I come up with an epic string of cliches and puns, and they sailed over your head like a fly ball headed over the fence. :rolleyes: :rofl: