SU Tutorial

Matt,
That's a good reference. I didn't know Gary had a website. I've admired his ideas from the JLC forums for many years. Thanks.
It's interesting the differences in work flow from he and Dave. Gives you some more insight.
Thanks,
Toby

That is an interesting tutorial. Toby, you're right that he uses a different sort of approach in his construction methods. Curiously some of his methods seem a lot more difficult than they need to be. For example his method of running Push/Pull, while a usable method seems to give him a lot of trouble. If he would select the path lines first, then the Follow Me tool and click on the molding profile, he have the molding drawn much more rapidly.

I would also make components of all parts, not just the ones that will have duplicates. You can't give groups names like you can components and if you want to make a separate view, maybe an exploded one, having components throughout allows editing to carry through to the other views.

Still, he gets his job done and that's the important thing.

Matt

Thanks for the post and the link, that is a great tutorial

Maybe it will get me motivated to learn how to use that program.

I don't know if anyone knows this, but can you create a bill of materials from a SU rendering?

Jay

Jay, there is a cut list plugin available that might do what you want. I'm headed off for bed now but I'll post a link to it tomorrow.

Matt, I agree, seeing SketchUp in action is helpful. I need to work out my software so I can keep the sound synched with the video. I haven't found the right software for that without spending money. I be willing to reinvest my profits from teaching SketchUp but so far there aren't any. ;)

Matt, I agree, seeing SketchUp in action is helpful. I need to work out my software so I can keep the sound synched with the video. I haven't found the right software for that without spending money. I be willing to reinvest my profits from teaching SketchUp but so far there aren't any. ;)

Dave I'm a new member here and I've been reading all your archived posts.
I'm in the process of learning Sketch Up and feel very lucky to have come across a guru such as yourself willing to take the time and patience to share your knowledge. Thanks for that.

You may already know about this free software package... Open source Camtasia so to speak... lets you save as avi or swf.

Look forward to reading the rest of your tutorials and questions are sure to follow ;) Thanks in advance :D

Matt, thanks for the link - I managed to replicate the bookshelf :)
Thanks to Gary Katz for that video.

Jim, I'm glad you've found my tutorials helpful.

Thanks for the link. I've been using that software but at least with my computer, I can't keep the audio and video synched. I looked at Camtasia Studio but at $299 it's $299 more than I have been paid for all of my SketchUp teaching since Version 3 of the program. ;)