A couple of useless tips - Glue Brush Stand - Spaceball Substitute

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, Heres a couple of 'tips' I've come up with.

I like to use these little glue brushes and cups for putting glue on things, but always have problems with the cup tipping over, where to put the brush, blah blah blah.

A couple of minutes with some scrap wood a drill bit and a screw and this works just fine.

2014-12-24 11.18.17.jpg

Also, I didn't have any space balls to use on my cabinet doors, and couldn't see buying them just for this project, so looked about for a substitue. I use some of that foam drawer liner for a pad to use when I'm sanding things, so I cut up a little bit of that and there you go, some compressible little foam whatsits I used to keep the panels centered in the frame.

2014-12-24 11.19.02.jpg

Nice, I've got a little stand for my stained glass stuff that has a "Z" shaped bracket with a 3/32" slot about 1/2" deep in the top end. You smash the brush handle near the end with a hammer or crimp it flat with pliers, leaving a bulge at the end still, and it slips into that slot to drip off flux back into the jar.

I've never used space balls or anything similar on my raised panel doors. I just center the panel and use 2two 23 ga. pin nails in the center of the panel. One at the top and one at the bottom.

A little hint for the acid brush as a glue brush is to cut about a third of the length of the bristols off. This makes it much easier to spread the glue and to make it easier to cut wrap a piece of tape around the bristles on the end to keep them grouped together while cutting.