Allan Batty demo's free on youtube

Not sure where this should go but these are fantastic demo's and the price is certainly right.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Hu

I don't know how long these will be available on youtube, I believe only a short period. Two roughly one hour videos showing Allan Batty demonstrating his methods. Much more to be learned than the topics indicate. Each video is roughly one hour, excellent close in camera work and very detailed explanations. "Master" tends to be a bit overused word these days, Allan Batty is a true master turner. A master instructor too if these videos are any indication.

Hand chasing threads and making an acorn box.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iEd0kD0S4

The skew chisel and making a chair or table leg with offsets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfeLAHQSbqk

Great post Hu, I'll need to look at them again...

A while back when I was trying to learn to chase threads, I bought one of Alan's videos... learned a lot, but did not learn to chase threads well... not because of his vid though... my lathe won't reduce speed enough to do it successfully. I did get the gist of what he was doing and when and if I get another lathe, I'll make sure I can get down in the speed.

Great post Hu, I'll need to look at them again...

A while back when I was trying to learn to chase threads, I bought one of Alan's videos... learned a lot, but did not learn to chase threads well... not because of his vid though... my lathe won't reduce speed enough to do it successfully. I did get the gist of what he was doing and when and if I get another lathe, I'll make sure I can get down in the speed.

I don't have a low speed either. My cue lathe is in pieces so I can't take a picture but it has an auxiliary motor for low speed turning to put linen wraps on cues. That is just one piece of thread laid one layer around the cue. I have considered some kind of auxiliary motor for this lathe, maybe just turning a belt on a faceplate or chuck. Then again, getting a better lathe than this annoying varmint seems like the better idea! Some other things to deal with then I may buy a smaller Jet that actually works like it is supposed to. There is a new Jet with a Reeves drive and a pivoting head but I have seen that rodeo before!

Hu