Barn Razing -tearing down a snow damaged pole barn

Ned Bulken

The local fire department's field day food pole barn needed to be repaired thanks to some serious
P3040068.jpg

well today this crew:
P4210036.jpg

worked from 8am to 6pm

we improvised a lot, first we took the galvanized roof off:

P4210038.jpg

then they realized that hydraulics are far easier:

P4210040.jpg

P4210041.jpg

and eventually we had the basic bones exposed:
P4210080.jpg

then they decided to remove the cooler from the clam's shed:

P4210075.jpg

they knew the little john deer wouldn't pull it out, so they put their heavy rescue in to play.
P4210078.jpg

then they got really serious... one of the firemen has a tracked earthmover, and they took down the shed behind the cooler ala extreme home makeover
P4210084.jpg

shades of things to come, as that purple beast nicknamed Barnie saved loads of sore muscles the rest of the day.

Last edited:
before Barnie got busy, they removed the joists from both sides of the barn, using a little John Deere action, a chainsaw and a sledge hammer.
P4210002.jpg

(yeah, made me more than a little leery too, but noone got more than a scratch all day long)

P4210004.jpg

note, counter balance was required for some of the firemen.

P4210013-1.jpg

then it was Barnie's turn again.
P4210020-1.jpg

in short order we were at the far end of the building.
P4210063.jpg

P4210076.jpg

and then we had three piles of scrap:

P4210079.jpg

P4210056.jpg

and of course it is a Fire department, so they used it for a controlled burn:

P4210086.jpg

folks, i was a good 50' from the fire, and it was really toasty:

P4210092.jpg

P4210094.jpg

note, pumper standing by:

P4210098.jpg

You people did a good job! :thumb:

Will the structure be rebuilt?

Ned, that's one job that I certainly would have warn my hard hat on! -But I don't see any in nthe photos. :huh:

they just rolled up their sleeves and got the job done, though all of the firemen had helmets (the ultimate hard hat imho) up in the front of the building, evidently no one thought about them.

the pole barn is history, but they will be replacing it with a modern metal structure on slab, intending to use it in winter for rental storage space. That will have to be up by august 1st, per the chief.

PS: equal time for the heavy rescue:
P4210065.jpg

Last edited:
But why?

Question, did you have a burn permit?:rolleyes:

From the pictures, it seems like the basic structure was repairable. A case of a broken ankle repaired by amputation above the collar bone?:huh:

In any event, it looks like they did a thorough job. A fun event after a long winter of snow and cold.

Good pictures, Ned.:)

Ken,
yeah, i'd have thought it was fixable too, but 'they' told the firehouse that it was totalled, and since the powers that be in the fire house want to put up the new structure anyway... we get a new stgorage barn out of the deal. there were more 'problems' than just the one section of roof, so they decided to scrap and rebuild.

Frank,
I bet it would have, but there are neighbors on the long axis to either side.