New grizzly lathe 22x42

If I had the choice of that lathe or my Nova DVR lathe, there is no question that I would pick the DVR. It is currently on sale for just under $2000 at Woodcraft, so you should be able to get it without freight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I hit the wrong button Charlie. No editing was done.

I agree with you Charlie I like the DVR too. BUT I am less than an hour drive from Grizzly Corp. headquarters & have looked at & played with the 18" lathe they had I would probably buy the Grizzly lathe mostly because I know the people there on first name basis & would be able to take my problems straight to PaPa Bear

Looks like an interesting contender, although like Ryan, I think the banjo is a bit on the light side and suspect the swiveling headstock might cause more issues than it solves. (Depends on how it's implemented.) I also prefer the tailstock locking lever to be on the front instead of the back, but for the difference in price between the PM 3520 and this one, I could quite possibly adjust. With an extra couple of inches of swing and an extra horsepower, it looks like it could give the PM 3520 a run for the money.

suspect the swiveling headstock might cause more issues than it solves. (Depends on how it's implemented.) I also prefer the tailstock locking lever to be on the front instead of the back

I think that the "swiveling" function is actually the ability to remove it from the ways and then replace it with the head going the other way, so not really swiveling and I'm thinking no one would ever actually want to do that. Sales points or something.

Hadn't noticed the locking lever, but that's also a good point.

It is less than half the regular price of the 3520 although I'm certainly not looking two switch :D

I think that the "swiveling" function is actually the ability to remove it from the ways and then replace it with the head going the other way, so not really swiveling and I'm thinking no one would ever actually want to do that. Sales points or something.

Hadn't noticed the locking lever, but that's also a good point.

It is less than half the regular price of the 3520 although I'm certainly not looking two switch :D

So Ryan was the two as in a Powermatic lathe #1 & a Grizzly lathe #2 ? All in 1 shop?

So Ryan was the two as in a Powermatic lathe #1 & a Grizzly lathe #2 ? All in 1 shop?

Heh, nope I "just" have the powermatic, I meant "not looking _to_ switch" :D.

There are definitely lathes that would be an upgrade (the larger robust springs to mind if not to pocket book) or nice adjunct (a decent midi and maybe if I had room and found one cheap a large patternmakers lathe and maybe a nice treadle just because) to the powermatic but the grizzly isn't really on the list. Regardless I'm not planning to add or change anything anytime soon.

I just like looking at tools :D

I don't know how they would compare, but I have the Jet 1442 that has a rotating head stock.... I can unlock the cam lock under the hand wheel, then unscrew a pull level under the on/off switch and rotate it in several increments, then lock it all down again... it locks down solid. With the headstock turned outboard I have to add an extension to the banjo to make it work at the 45 or 90 degree positions off the ways... beyond that I have to move the banjo to the other side of the head stock and then use the extension... makes for a little funky set up and not as solid as when the banjo sits directly on the ways...

My tailstock lock is on the back side of the tail stock and has never presented a problem... initially the lever was a little short and if I set it down tight, took a little to work it loose again... I added a longer wood handled to the lever and never have a problem now. With it on the back side of the tail stock, it doesn't get in the way as the speed shift lever does when you run the speed up to the higher levels.

For those keeping an eye on this lathe, Grizzly just told me they are expecting them to arrive 4-17-15.

It is certainly a temptation. A lot of lathe for $1700 delivered to my door. Maybe the best bang for the buck since I like to turn natural wood. 100RPM lowest speed is the biggest issue I see. Maybe I could put a granny gear in it!

Hu

Larger, more powerful version of my G0632 which I find highly satisfactory. Headstock swivel design is stout, good feature and nothing to worry about. Banjo, is OK but if with the extension caution must be used, it can get a lot of stress. Do put on your list of models to compare when making your decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shucks I hit the wrong button again.

I think it is actually a bigger version of the G0733 You'll notice it says...the headstock can rotate 180º and be positioned anywhere along the bed just like the G0733. I sure would like to take Grizzly up on one of these but first a shop building.

For those keeping an eye on this lathe, Grizzly just told me they are expecting them to arrive 4-17-15.

It is certainly a temptation. A lot of lathe for $1700 delivered to my door. Maybe the best bang for the buck since I like to turn natural wood. 100RPM lowest speed is the biggest issue I see. Maybe I could put a granny gear in it!

Hu

That is the shining star with Grizzly products. More bang for buck and good quality. Just hold yer nose at where they are made.
Actually, very unlikely you will get down to 100 rpm. My 0632 bottom is about 250. The rheostat is not the best.

...Actually, very unlikely you will get down to 100 rpm. My 0632 bottom is about 250. The rheostat is not the best.

The low-end speed can be adjusted by tweaking the electronic speed control. If it's not turning at the advertised speed, I suspect the Griz customer service folks could walk someone through making the adjustment.

The low-end speed can be adjusted by tweaking the electronic speed control. If it's not turning at the advertised speed, I suspect the Griz customer service folks could walk someone through making the adjustment.

I have a replacement rheostat but all those wires scare me. Me and elektriks just don't get along. I don't want to burn out my control or motor.

I have a replacement rheostat but all those wires scare me. Me and elektriks just don't get along. I don't want to burn out my control or motor.

The adjustment has nothing to do with the potentiometer (rheostat). It's typically a little bitty knob that gets turned on the inside of the controller itself. And I realize you're intimidated by all things electric, but hooking up the new potentiometer is dead easy. It's just got three wires. Pretty hard to mix them up unless you're being intentionally ignorant. ;)

The adjustment has nothing to do with the potentiometer (rheostat). It's typically a little bitty knob that gets turned on the inside of the controller itself. And I realize you're intimidated by all things electric, but hooking up the new potentiometer is dead easy. It's just got three wires. Pretty hard to mix them up unless you're being intentionally ignorant. ;)

I get the backdoor trots just reading the word "potentiometer". :eek:
Mebbe I'll have a friend do it one day while I leave the house. I'd rather watch gut surgery than elektrik stuff. :eek:

I get the backdoor trots just reading the word "potentiometer". :eek:
Mebbe I'll have a friend do it one day while I leave the house. I'd rather watch gut surgery than elektrik stuff. :eek:

Getting back to your original comment (about the minimum speed of your lathe being 150% higher than advertised), the point I've tried to make is that you DON'T have to do anything with wires. You turn a little bitty knob as directed by Grizzly tech support. It has as much to do with "elektriks" as turning on a dimmer switch does.

Getting back to your original comment (about the minimum speed of your lathe being 150% higher than advertised), the point I've tried to make is that you DON'T have to do anything with wires. You turn a little bitty knob as directed by Grizzly tech support. It has as much to do with "elektriks" as turning on a dimmer switch does.

OK, I'll give them a call. The big labels on the control box warn to not mess with anything.