New grizzly lathe 22x42

I get the backdoor trots just reading the word "potentiometer". :eek:
Mebbe I'll have a friend do it one day while I leave the house. I'd rather watch gut surgery than elektrik stuff. :eek:

Frank,

Sounds like all you need to do is turn a little screw with them telling you whichaway, hard to get in too much trouble like that! What I have found with anything the least bit questionable is to break out a camera and take pictures before starting and at every step along the way! I used to draw crude sketches to help me put things back together but digital pictures are so much nicer to look at on the laptop or do color prints to haul out on the job if it is a dangerous place for a laptop to be.

My biggest electrical project was 14 three phase lights I was running on straight 240 and a blower. All lights were wired to one switch and the blower to another. Had to be all commercial grade stuff and inspected by the city. Got by the inspection OK but it was definitely heart in throat when I hit that switch for the first time that turned all fourteen fluorescent lights on at once. Everything worked and there was no sudden pops or crackles. The lights had been bought used to add to my discomfort factor!

Interesting tidbit, this lathe has been around since 2012. The Burt Group makes all of these basic lathes I believe including the Griz, note the update date on the list of specifications.

Hu

http://www.saom.net.cn/dz5f28274-cz...200w-with-taiwan-delta-inverter-mc2242vf.html

Hey minimum order is only 10 lathes, makes you kind of wonder if there would be any real direct sake discount. I suspect not as much as you'd like since I'm thinking griz and related buy so many that they surely get a huge discount.

It is interesting that the burt groups description has it bottom out at 0rpm but all the resellers bump it to 100 or so. The one rumor I heard was that extended duration at really low rpm could overheat the motor so they were doing that for warrant reasons.

I'm perhaps a little confused about the G0632 discussion. Does it not have a delta vfd-s series vfd on it? I thought the programming on them was slightly more involved than just adjusting the potentiometer? I could well be wrong on both of those days points so am just asking for edification purposes.

I think that the "swiveling" function is actually the ability to remove it from the ways and then replace it with the head going the other way, so not really swiveling and I'm thinking no one would ever actually want to do that. Sales points or something.

Coming late to this, but I have a Gristly lathe, too, and the head very definitely swivels and locks at 90º and 180º. It seems pretty rugged to me. I doubt I will ever use the swivel feature, as I don't think the motor has the stones to turn a bowl bigger than the swing of the lathe, which is about 14" IIRC. It is a smaller lathe than the one under discussion, but I'm not going back outside to find out the model number.

Last edited:
I notice a lot of people say they don't swivel the head because they don't turn bowls that big.

I have a NOVA DVR lathe with a swivel head. I turn most of my bowls with the head swiveled about 30-45 degrees. The banjo - tool rest isn't straining, but I don't have to lean over the lathe bed for turning. I find it a very convenient configuration. If you have a swivel head, I suggest you try a modest swivel, basically to give you more convenient access, not to increase the size bowl you can turn.

I notice a lot of people say they don't swivel the head because they don't turn bowls that big.

I have a NOVA DVR lathe with a swivel head. I turn most of my bowls with the head swiveled about 30-45 degrees. The banjo - tool rest isn't straining, but I don't have to lean over the lathe bed for turning. I find it a very convenient configuration. If you have a swivel head, I suggest you try a modest swivel, basically to give you more convenient access, not to increase the size bowl you can turn.

Well, that explains why my lathe also has a stop at 45º. I wondered about that. Good to know - thanks Charlie!

Ryan,

First an apology, I didn't show any new posts checking user CP so I didn't come back to the thread.

I'm as confused as anybody about the controllers. They run from pretty simple to some that can talk seven languages and cost far more than any of the lathes we are talking about. With DC you can work with just a pot I believe but these do state they are three phase motors. As I understand there is a calibration screw to adjust spindle speed to read out speed. It might be possible to adjust this screw to get down to lower RPM too, bearing in mind that the motor can overheat at very low RPM. I don't know what they mean by very low though. Some of the big lathes can turn six or eight RPM long enough to rough in logs.

The VFD looks like it might be a controller that sells retail for about a hundred dollars or a knockoff of that controller. I'm suspecting that there will be some compromises since we are looking at something very close to the 3220b in capabilities for less than half the price. One thing, when we buy from Grizzly we are cutting out one or two layers of middle men, so at a guess saving fifty percent or more on mark up. My local Powermatic dealer has the 3220 on sale for $3999 at the moment. I didn't think it would help us be buddies to tell him I can get it for $3500 with no tax and free shipping!

Unless I stumble on a really good running start to building my own lathe I am going to try to get the Griz when it is available. Too much lathe for the price to not give it a try. Even if some bugs have to be fought with it should be worth it.

Hu

I'm as confused as anybody about the controllers. They run from pretty simple to some that can talk seven languages and cost far more than any of the lathes we are talking about. With DC you can work with just a pot I believe but these do state they are three phase motors. As I understand there is a calibration screw to adjust spindle speed to read out speed. It might be possible to adjust this screw to get down to lower RPM too, bearing in mind that the motor can overheat at very low RPM. I don't know what they mean by very low though. Some of the big lathes can turn six or eight RPM long enough to rough in logs.

The VFD looks like it might be a controller that sells retail for about a hundred dollars or a knockoff of that controller. I'm suspecting that there will be some compromises since we are looking at something very close to the 3220b in capabilities for less than half the price.
One thing, when we buy from Grizzly we are cutting out one or two layers of middle men, so at a guess saving fifty percent or more on mark up. My local Powermatic dealer has the 3220 on sale for $3999 at the moment. I didn't think it would help us be buddies to tell him I can get it for $3500 with no tax and free shipping!

From the information I can find from the net (take that for whatever its worth) the vfd on the 22x42 is actually the same VFD as is on the 3520 (at least the newer ones). I don't know what vfd is on Franks lathe for sure...

I suspect some fit and finish is not the same - at a guess I'd say its unlikely to have as heavy of bearings and maybe the motor and then perhaps a few details (although the motor is also a pretty stock unit it appears).

I found the manual for the Delta VFD-S (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/drive/ac_motor/download/manual/VFD-S_manual_en.pdf) and got through a chunk of it before I got lost at the specifics on some of the pinouts -
Potentiometer-5K Ω/0.5W, DC 0 to +10V or 0 to +5V (Input impedance 47K Ω), RS-485 interface, 4 to 20mA (Input impedance 25Ω); Multi-Function Inputs 1 to 5 (7 steps, Jog, up/down)

So maybe you can adjust the end points on the potentiometer? Otherwise you'd have to program in the stop points on the vfd itself I think?

Still confused here.

Unless I stumble on a really good running start to building my own lathe I am going to try to get the Griz when it is available. Too much lathe for the price to not give it a try. Even if some bugs have to be fought with it should be worth it.

Hu

Yeah, it seems that just for the cast iron alone its a pretty good start even if you eventually had to rebuild some of the moving parts and replace a few other bits here and there (the the banjo, I'm betting that the banjo will have to go early on).

I'm not a big fan of Grizzly lathes, but I think I'd have to agree with Ryan on this one. Even if there's some work that needed to be done on it, the $1700 price point leaves a lot of extra money in your wallet.

From the information I can find from the net (take that for whatever its worth) the vfd on the 22x42 is actually the same VFD as is on the 3520 (at least the newer ones). I don't know what vfd is on Franks lathe for sure...

I suspect some fit and finish is not the same - at a guess I'd say its unlikely to have as heavy of bearings and maybe the motor and then perhaps a few details (although the motor is also a pretty stock unit it appears).

I found the manual for the Delta VFD-S (http://www.delta.com.tw/product/em/drive/ac_motor/download/manual/VFD-S_manual_en.pdf) and got through a chunk of it before I got lost at the specifics on some of the pinouts -
Potentiometer-5K Ω/0.5W, DC 0 to +10V or 0 to +5V (Input impedance 47K Ω), RS-485 interface, 4 to 20mA (Input impedance 25Ω); Multi-Function Inputs 1 to 5 (7 steps, Jog, up/down)

So maybe you can adjust the end points on the potentiometer? Otherwise you'd have to program in the stop points on the vfd itself I think?

Still confused here.

Yeah, it seems that just for the cast iron alone its a pretty good start even if you eventually had to rebuild some of the moving parts and replace a few other bits here and there (the the banjo, I'm betting that the banjo will have to go early on).

Ryan,

Even the Jet lathes come with pretty low end bearings, one trick to using them gunsmithing is swapping to better bearings. I'm thinking the corners are already cut there so the bearings are likely to be the same across all lines. The motor seems like a likely place to cut costs and is one of the things Burt lets you spec out yourself however it doesn't seem like money was saved there. The electronics were one place I guessed but if your findings are right, not there either. The outside fit and finish is one place Grizzly saves a buck, there is a lot of bondo on a Jet lathe! Once you get inside the Jet ain't nearly so purty and some of the components make you wince just looking at them. The half nuts on my Jet were horrible, one place I think there could have been easy major improvements.

Sawmill Creek has a Griz group and they already have a 766 or two on order, guess we will find out come April. I'm trying to scratch together enough nickels and pennies to buy one but it is slow going. According to my cyphering one of them things costs 127,500 beer cans!
Hu

Even the Jet lathes come with pretty low end bearings, one trick to using them gunsmithing is swapping to better bearings. I'm thinking the corners are already cut there so the bearings are likely to be the same across all lines.

Yeah the information I was able to find on that bit was one thing that swung me to get the powermatic which reportedly has somewhat better bearings even though practically speaking the 1642 would have pretty much done most of what I wanted (I've actually used the greater capacity although its debatable how "useful" it is its nice to have I suppose). There were a few fit and finish issues on even the PM that made me a bit grumpy considering the cost but none of them were really functional problems.

Sawmill Creek has a Griz group and they already have a 766 or two on order, guess we will find out come April.

It'll definitely be interesting to see the reviews when they come in from real users - especially after they've had them for a while. I don't reckon we'll see bearing issues and such to much for the first ~6 months or so.

I'm trying to scratch together enough nickels and pennies to buy one but it is slow going. According to my cyphering one of them things costs 127,500 beer cans!
Hu

:rofl: Ouch, that's only 1.3c per can (actually looks like there's no return deposit in LA or MS :doh:). Assuming 5c per its only 34,000 cans and at 10c per its 17,000 can's probably worth driving to a nearby state for that many :D Looks like Michigan is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_deposit_legislation_in_the_United_States - although the $25/day means it'll take you three months to redeem them all, so maybe not so much of a win after all.

If you're going that route its only 160,000 cans at 5c per or 80,000 can's at 10c per for a Robust American Beauty which would definitely be a dream lathe!

:rofl: Ouch, that's only 1.3c per can (actually looks like there's no return deposit in LA or MS :doh:). Assuming 5c per its only 34,000 cans and at 10c per its 17,000 can's probably worth driving to a nearby state for that many :D Looks like Michigan is your friend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Container_deposit_legislation_in_the_United_States - although the $25/day means it'll take you three months to redeem them all, so maybe not so much of a win after all.

If you're going that route its only 160,000 cans at 5c per or 80,000 can's at 10c per for a Robust American Beauty which would definitely be a dream lathe!

Ryan,

It is selling them by the pound here. A friend that was saving all of his and selling them once every year or two usually waits for the price to hit about sixty cents a pound but it is often only around forty or forty-five I believe. Being into overkill and having a machine shop Bruce built his own can crusher. They whine when they handle his bags and run them through the shreader, his cans are FLAT!

Talking about hauling the cans for a better price, that is what really happened when states started charging deposits. Didn't take them long to figure out they were buying a lot more cans than they were selling and cans are marked as to what state they are sold in now. Good idea though, an eighteen wheeler load of cans at a nickel a can is a score. 40-50 cans for sixty cents, sell them for $2.50, it would be worth the trucking!

I almost got into seafood trucking years ago. Ten or fifteen cents a pound ain't bad change to haul shellfish a few hundred miles ten or twenty thousand pounds at a time. My brother-in-law and a partner bought an old two ton reefer truck and were doing pretty good hauling gulf coast seafood to the east coast and coming back with atlantic coast seafood for the gulf coast market. Not being the sharpest knives in the drawer they figured they could increase profit by hauling a pound or two of reefer in a reefer truck. So long reefer truck, a fair sized chunk of cash, and I think BnL's partner with a little longer sheet got a couple years vacation time! Average pay on Angola Farm is twelve cents an hour now, I'll let you do the math on that one! :D

Hu

Saw the discussion on the New G0766 22x42 Grizzly lathe. I am new to this forum, but have a good deal of experience with Grizzly lathes........I have studied the models, features, as well as other lathes and have educated myself on what is on the market. I have also turned on 9 different PM 3520b units, and several Jet 1642 evs models, and even one [drool!] Robust American Beauty with 3 hp motor and swing away tailstock....[long bed version] so I have some frame of reference, for those who do not know me.

Over the years, I have had questions galore on forums, calls from all over the U.S. and emails from Canada and the U.S. about my original purchase of the G0698 18/47 lathe. It has basically the same features as the 3520b, sans the safety cage and handwheel, but my unit has been a fine performer for over 5 years........that coming from someone who has seen the performance of the other makes as mentioned and has the ability to compare performance. I have had a member of one of the clubs I belong to that owns a 3520b in my shop and stated that this lathe does everything his does, and liked it very much.

As to the new G0766 model.........I have one on order, and when I get it set up will give a review. I anticipate fine performance and this increased capacity is a plus...the reason for my upgrade. The inverter on the new G0766 is the Delta Electronics M series, which is a better inverter than the S model on the 3520b models [they may have changed them now?] and it is a sensorless vector micro drive unit that provides the smoothest performance of the inverter types put on woodworking equipment. [that info came to me from an electrical engineer, who is also a turner]

Just wanted to give some accurate information to those who might be interested in this subject. I have absolutely no affiliation with Grizzly Industrial, just a very particular tool junkie, who prizes performance and value in my machinery, and who is a stickler for precision and quality. While I do not think this G0766 is in a league with the Robust American Beauty [drool!] I do think that it rivals the PM and Jet......they all are manufactured by the Burt Group for the respective vendors.........they have components that are common, so, value to features ratio is superb with this lineup of lathes! From my understanding, the foundry that casts the different makes is in China, but the electronics come from Taiwan.

Last edited:
Thanks Roger,

Out of curiosity do you remember what the inverter was on your 698?

Definitely looking forward to your review, I think you might well be getting one of the first couple off of the line.

Welcome Newbie!

The inverter on my G0698 was made by Toshiba.........

Welcome Newbie! :D:D:D

Ain't many turning forums I can find that I have been to before Roger! I have seen some bodaciously beautiful work of his too and I think he founded the green monster group on sawmill creek. I suspect Roger and I are both doing searches on the 766 about as often and that is how he found his way here.

The 733 seems to be a very close cousin to the 766 so I spent some time looking over the 733 manual and parts list. The 733 is using a Delta m series drive now, I suspect very similar to the one on the 766 except the 733 uses the two horsepower inverter. The Delta part number is given for the one on the 733 and Grizzly will sell you the replacement part. Their price for the replacement part is over seven hundred dollars! A few of the major components on the 733 will put you over new price in a hurry. One thing of interest, you can't buy the 733 legs anymore. They have been superseded, I suspect it now uses the same legs as the new 766 which seem to be a bit wider and sturdier.

First time I can remember since I started paying taxes that I am looking forward to the middle of April! I'm about like a kid waiting for Santa Claus to come on Christmas Eve and I don't even have my order in yet.

Hu

Thanks Hu........nice to hear from you! :wave: Seems this forum is not as busy as some of the others, but sounds like a good group here.........I will probably check in regularly! ;)