2015 plans

Ok it's that time of year again. What are your plans for the new year and what projects are you wanting to get done?

Me, I am going to make this shop bigger, if it bankrupts to whole family:D Well maybe not that determined to do it, but I really need more room. Plan is to go bigger and come up with some sort of HVAC. Now that I have this real job, it would be nice if I could just come out into the shop and work without building a fire and waiting on heat to build up. Going to go with insulation to try and solve that issue first.

Need to finish the upper bathroom and closet where I tore out the chimney. Wanting to enclose the small front porch as well this year.

Not even sure of projects as I really don't know how much time I will have.

I have not been able to pursue any "real" woodworking projects for the last couple of years as I have been very busy with home improvement projects and work (you know that thing we do that people are willing to pay us for doing). I managed to finish the last home improvement project I was working on and before tackling any more, I will now start my shop redo I have been planning for a while.

The shop redo will be extensive, but will not consist of any structural changes to the space. It will be more a downsizing and "redecorating" effort. I will be selling off all my large power tools. Some because I don't need everything I have and all because I no longer am satisfied with the quality. My woodworking has sifted more towards hand tool work, and the few large power tools that I want will be quality ($$$). The "redecorating" aspect of the make-over has to do with the aesthetics of my work space. Some day I will have a shop that will have an old world type of feel to it. Colonial shops tended to be in their living spaces and had all the comforts that a room in your house would have, as opposed to a modern cabinet shop.

Something along this line:

JamieB1.JPGJamieB2.JPG

(RIP Jamie Bacon)

In the meantime, I will be softening up the atmosphere of my current workspace. All of this I will be showing in a new thread. It is going to be a daunting task that I expect to take up to 3 months due to my limited time. I decided the best way for me to go forward is to do section of the shop at a time, so that I get some feeling of accomplishment as I go. Otherwise the whole space could quickly turn into huge mess which would destroy my initiative. The work is starting today with the demo of some old cabinets and a run to the dump later this weekend.

Oh, did I mention that I am losing some space as my wife is now spinning clay and needs a space for her wheel and throwing table?

Last edited:
Well, other than working on my living room this past spring, nothing went as planned in 2014. I still need to finish up putting down base trim and finishing stair risers from that project. We've got flooring bought to put down the in kitchen, so planning to work on that this spring. We also have to replace the hvac, so planning to re-route some ducts as part of that process.

As for shop projects, I need to build another motorcycle rocker, I need a shop cart, and I'm also looking to build a new cnc router. I still have another run of pvc to run for the DC, but need to shuffle one of my benches to another wall first.

I have decided to get some quotes on getting some other things done around our house to keep SWMBO happy.

With a new house, I've got a to-do list as long as an Antarctic winter. As it currently stands:

• Finish stripping old paint from cabinet doors in both bathrooms
  • Finish painting the house interior (we're down to bathrooms and bathroom cabinets at this point)
  • Install ceramic tile floor in master bath
  • Get new carpeting installed throughout the house
  • Remove or relocate all the current shelves and cabinets in garage
  • Paint interior garage walls (dark paneling will be white)
  • Haul a pickup load of old paint and chemicals (from previous owner) to Haz-Mat dump
  • Remove one set of upper and lower cabinets from kitchen and install in garage
  • Get movers to move all of our stuff from storage into the house and garage (shop)
  • Gut the kitchen to bare walls
  • Remove kitchen soffits and re-drywall as needed
  • Assemble and install new cabinets
  • Install all new appliances in kitchen
  • Get woodstove hooked up in shop
  • Do some electrical circuit reassignments to free up about 80 amps in the main panel for the shop
  • Start setting up the shop (I say "start", because a shop is seldom ever "done")

New bathroom for room over garage.
Driveway extension
12' x 18' shed
Perimeter fence
Detached garage planned and permitted
king size bed
learn to TIG weld

With a new house, I've got a to-do list as long as an Antarctic winter. As it currently stands:

• Finish stripping old paint from cabinet doors in both bathrooms
  • Finish painting the house interior (we're down to bathrooms and bathroom cabinets at this point)
  • Install ceramic tile floor in master bath
  • Get new carpeting installed throughout the house
  • Remove or relocate all the current shelves and cabinets in garage
  • Paint interior garage walls (dark paneling will be white)
  • Haul a pickup load of old paint and chemicals (from previous owner) to Haz-Mat dump
  • Remove one set of upper and lower cabinets from kitchen and install in garage
  • Get movers to move all of our stuff from storage into the house and garage (shop)
  • Gut the kitchen to bare walls
  • Remove kitchen soffits and re-drywall as needed
  • Assemble and install new cabinets
  • Install all new appliances in kitchen
  • Get woodstove hooked up in shop
  • Do some electrical circuit reassignments to free up about 80 amps in the main panel for the shop
  • Start setting up the shop (I say "start", because a shop is seldom ever "done")

So... what's on your list for next week, then? :D

New bathroom for room over garage.
Driveway extension
12' x 18' shed
Perimeter fence
Detached garage planned and permitted
king size bed
learn to TIG weld
Congrats on the new additions. At my first house I was planning a detached garage, city planner told me I had to remove my storage shed as we were only allowed one accessory building. :dunno:

Don't be silly, Darren. Those are just additions to the list. I didn't commit to any of these....well, there was the bed, but that was years ago and I'm sure she has forgotten:) I've checked on the shed and can have more than one, unless they change the rules, which they do very often. Rural Residential zoning took a big freedom hit this year with the imposition of performance standards based upon lot square footage i.e. one chicken per so many sf of lot size. Absolutely ridiculous!