old door table

A friend asked if I could make her a coffee table using an old door that belonged to her great grandmother. She said it was her back door for what that's worth. It was really rough! It had peeling pant, and what I think might have been varnish maybe. I forgot to get a before picture, but here is what I was left with after I scraped most of the paint and finish off. front door.jpg As you can imagine it had some good dings, gouges, etc. I didn't try and get all the paint out of every ding or all the dings out, after all it's character!
She had a picture of one made from a six panel door that had been cut and the off cuts used as the legs. This one was a three panel, so I couldn't do that, so I made a couple of raised panels to act as the legs. She said the whole door was too big for a table, so I cut it down to 5'. I saved the bottom rail and moved it up. I had to match the finish from the old wood to the new, which took some experimentation to get it close. It's not perfect, but it'll do. She wanted a shelf underneath and on wheels so she can roll it around if need be. I made the shelf panel from some tulip poplar I cut a couple of years ago. Here you go with the finished pics. Almost forgot, she wanted me to leave the knobs and hinges on.

door fininshed.jpgdoor finished 2.jpg

Nice job, and the family history, plus all the dings and hardware makes it a one of a kind item. Great job!