I'm starvin

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Day two of a diet. No diet in particular just trying to cut calorie intake by about 500 points a day (2 lbs a week). I've been tracking my meals in the My Fitness Pal app, also trying out the Spark People app, both are very similar. Since the last time I used it they have improved the bar code scanner, which lets you scan the UPC bar code on the package and it looks up the information for you to enter into the meal. Before Xmas I was seeing the craze of everyone wanting a wrist band fitness tracker (Fitbit for example), didn't see what all the hype was about. After messing with the diet app, and now I'm realizing that it would be nice to have something track my steps so that I can gain a few more calories to eat each day, stay under my goal, and not starve. :rolleyes:

Lost 75 lbs since march of last year, simply by pushing the plate away. I've been eating whatever I want, just cutting way, way back on portions, no more second helpings of anything{excluding this past X-mas cookies ;)} I've found that I no longer enjoy the chips and sweets as much since the pounds starting melting away...now if only staying off the smokes were as easy..........

I think you have been talking to Brent :)

He's of like mind (and me too).

I have my pocket "fitbit" and when I get to 8000 steps by 4pm, I just have to get that last 2000 in...it does inspire you. To start, portion control is the secret. It's the first Monday after the new year and I'm with you 100% (my jeans have been feeling a little tight over the holidays :rofl:)

Yep! Time to get on the ELMM program! I know that trying to diet and eat all veggies and that never really works long term for me, so its all more about just doing portion control.

(ELMM = Eat Less Move More)

Well I'm feeling good about my weight situation. last year I set out to lose 28 pounds & get back down to my high-school graduation weight of 175 pounds. I am 5'9" & am now 174 pounds. No belly & buying smaller pants & shirts & getting back into the ones I used to wear. Mostly by eating less calories. I just basically cut my diet intake somewhere by 1/3 - 1/2. I feel great.

So I'll stand on the side lines & cheer for those trying to do the same.

As to quiting smoking I used to smoke a pipe I know it s bit different then cigarettes but my advice is what I did, don't get one in your hand you won't be able to put it in your mouth. Also don't keep any cigarettes around & dont hang out with those that smoke. Maybe get some gum to chew. Go out to the shop & stay busy. Even if it means cleaning & rearranging the entire shop & videoing it & writing a book about it STAY BUSY.

Congrats to you both Ken and Bart! :thumb: I let myself balloon again this past year after losing a few the previous 2yrs. I'm trying the ELUM diet myself as well as becoming more active...starting with shoveling 5-7" of snow that's on the way today/tonight. :doh:

Congrats to you both Ken and Bart! :thumb: I let myself balloon again this past year after losing a few the previous 2yrs. I'm trying the ELUM diet myself as well as becoming more active...starting with shoveling 5-7" of snow that's on the way today/tonight. :doh:

Careful with the snow removal... rumor has it that more people have heart attacks doing snow removal than any other time... no scientific data, just rumor... main reason I try to stay south of the snow line. :rofl::rofl:

On weight loss, don't think I would care to go back to my high school weight... at 19 years when I went into the navy, I was 6'1" and weighed a mere 133 lbs... gained 15 lbs in boot camp and sat between 145 and 155 lbs until I married Dianne 23 years ago at 155 lbs... first year gained 30 lbs... and have crept up a little each year to now I hover around 205.... wouldn't mind dropping back about 20 lbs, but Dianne is such a good cook... it's hard to push away... I do practice portion control trying to at least maintain around 200.

Im trying again. hardest thing on earth to do.
for me, its not a question of just looking and feeling better, doctor told me with all my health problems, if I don't lose weight he doesn't think Ill be around later in life.

it sucks that most of the friends or relatives we hang out with, don't have weight problems, and all they want to do is eat, eat eat.
and then eat again. And then eat after they eat again.

Allen, If you've got a smart phone, give one of the apps I linked a try. Each has a good database of food listed when you search, but the bar code scanner really helps with getting stuff entered. I find myself filling it out prior to a meal to see what it's going to put me at, has been less disappointing than eating and finding I've used half my day's calories in one meal and honestly I get full enough.

Also, both apps tally up your nutrient for the day, My Fitness Pal has the list on the main page, Spark People you have to go to the website to view them. It's been nice to see where I'm at, turns out I'm only getting about 10% of the recommended daily potassium and for my family history of heart disease, I need to get all I can get. Been able to keep my sodium in check as well by making a few better choices when I'm filling out the meal ahead of eating.

Ive seen a nutrionist recently as requested by my physician.

Shes made it very simple for me.

Half my meals, dinner and lunch, should be vegetables, 1/4 should be starch, 1/4 protein, lean protein.
No more rice or potatos
Nothing fried.
I could have brown rice.
No more bread, the killer for me, only whole wheat slices for lunch or breakfast.
I don't drink caffeine, and she allows me some whole grain cereal in the morning with skim milk, fruit, coffee.
Cannot put anything in my mouth after 8 pm, not even a healthy snack, nothing.
If I stick to this plan, she expects my results will be tremendous.
She wants me to walk at least 45 minutes a day, or ride a stationary bike. Right now that isn't happening with my knee, the walking and recumbent bike is what triggered my knee.

My doctor is totally on board with her plan, small other details but its pretty simple, the old 1/2, 1/4 1/4 plate. (I think I got it all right without looking at anything)

My dinner was grilled chicken(which I love, can eat it almost every night), cooked carrots with some peas, and brown rice.
Decaf coffee. IM not a fish eater, so it puts a big dent into choices for me.

she also wants me to increase my water intake to double what I drink now, eventually dropping any diet sodas(the one pleasure she let me keep, a soda with dinner)

I know if I stick to this plan, Ill drop weight quickly, so Im trying. ONe day at a time. Cant think about tomorrow.

thin people have no clue how difficult this is, but I have no one to blame but myself, I wasn't a heavy kid, started gaining weight after I got married.

Ive dealt with cancer, it was a breeze compared to trying to lose weight.

Sounds like you're on track Allen. I've lost weight twice, 40 lb + each time. It was easier when I was younger, came off in little time at all with a little exercise. Problem was that I didn't retrain myself, so it always comes back. Trying to do that this time so I can keep it off this time. Your right about one day at a time, didn't get this way overnight.

Anybody have any good strength training apps? One that acts like a personal trainer and gives you workout plans to follow?

I'm trying one for android called 'JEFIT' right now. Seems like it might be ok, but I can tell their servers are getting slammed by all of us NYR'ers today.

Day 1: breakfast 2 eggs = 4 carbs, mid-day snack 4 small slim jims = 8 carbs, afternoon exercise= 2.7 miles on elliptical @ level 4, dinner 6 ozs lean meat and half a cup of broccoli. I did good:)

Been a few weeks now, had a few days that I've exceeded my daily goal, but as an average I've stayed under the weekly goal. So far I've lost about 6.5 lbs, about 2 lbs a week, which was my goal.

I've been trying to be honest in entering my calories into the My Fitness Pal (MFP) app, and trying to enter every little thing, including how many tomato slices were on the sandwich I had for lunch. I've been looking at the cafe menu before lunch, which has the nutrition details, so trying to make smart choices before heading down there. I have bought a Samsung Gear Fit (http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/gear/gearfit_features.html), which has a built in pedometer. So have been able to add some calories back into my daily goal to allow for snacks between meals or before bedtime as needed. Even with only losing a few pounds, I'm noticing a difference in my joints, fit of my clothes, and overall feeling better each day.

Next week I need to try to start hitting the gym over lunch a few days a week, which should be doable since it's just downstairs from my desk.