Display Cabinet, Oak n Glass

Looks good and i notice someone has been stealing from Glenns techniques for squaring things up. ;)

Personally i am still mystified by the customers desires. I guess quilts are not to be touched so stick em behind glass. Quilts only to be seen in small portion so fold them up and put them on shelves.
Dunno strange to my human tendencies to want to see the full thing hanging and be able to touch it.
But hey the customer is always right.
Just make sure she pays for your hard work and attention to detail that will not be found in a store bought item of any kind.
This sure is "custom" work and should commnad top dollar. Same as i bet this person gets for her quilts if they deserve a cabinet of this kind for display.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

rob i made mention to glenns squaring jigs, and one thing you need to do when making them is make sure the corner hole is big enough for the clamps to go inside.. as for quilts and touch, most quilt shows will not allow touch and only certain people with gloves can touch them.. they arent good to be washed so need to stay clean.. as for detail and price that doesnt really enter in, its the same price if i go fast or slow and steady.. also rob, every time i twist one of those bessy close with the tape on the handle i think of you:) i got a little further yesterday but that will be on the next chapter..

door fitting

3door fit.jpg4door fit.jpg5door fit.jpg6door fit.jpg

well these doors look simple but to get them to fit well you need to spend time on them, and a good story stick helps with the job.
i marked it at the bottom and checked it in the middle and at the top. after i got the measurement i transferred it to the doors.
which were made extra wide for this reason, so i had room to trim to fit. once again a centering ruler is invalueable for getting things equal on both sides.

9door fit.jpg8door fit.jpg7door fit.jpg

also to help in the rack strength of this project i found some chair braces that will do the trick and not look to obtrusive,
used them on all 4 corners of the door openings. then the trusty no.7 made the door sides nice and square and straight to:)

1door fit.jpg2door fit.jpg10door fit.jpg continued..............

11door fit.jpg12door fit.jpg13door fit.jpg14door fit.jpg

so now its time to do the hinges, figure out the placement and mark them on the frames,
you can chop them out to get a tighter fit if you want with a chisel or you can use a dado jig like this and a regular saw blade and mortise them out.
once you get them mortised, its time to drill hole for screws, using a self centering bit. i drilled the holes, then went back and re-drilled deeper with smaller bit to make the job easier.
i always use bees wax on the screws and never use a brass screw for the test fitting of anything! they dont hold up for the repeat attachments.
i also dont use all of the hinges holes either. that way you have new wood that isnt wore out from fitting.

15door fit.jpg16door fit.jpg17door fit.jpg18door fit.jpg continued....... after breakfast:)

now for the closures:) i had 4 rare earth magnets left from my first purchase which i dont know my source of:(
i needed to recess the plates so i could get a clean fit on the bottom and the top. so dug out my old reliable dremel
and used it to make the recess for the plates. have used it for hinges in the past, but these hinges that i have were to long.
and the base wouldnt stay on top like it needed to be, so i used the table saw to do those.. any way its off to the top today.
then some final touch up work, and attaching the corbels which will be in the next segment..

19door fit.jpg20door fit.jpg21door fit.jpg22door fit.jpg23door fit.jpg

Perfect timing bud, I have a hidden panel on a project I am working on and that solution fits the bill just right:) the case is looking great, need to get over and take a first hand look at it as it is now:)

well tom, dont hurry i need to get it painted to hide all the mistakes in it,, and to you bill ,, i am taking extra shots of this more than normal to possibly help others see just how things can go together and not necessarily the ethical way:) glenn, is light years ahead of me in many facets and i have learned alot from him and his great builds.. i am just showing some of the spots where little things make a difference in the end and some of us might just breeze through it, not thinking that others may not know it or understand it.. also if the new folks on here dont know it! questions can be asked at any time and discussions will never make one feel less than another..never a dumb question, we all got to where ever we are in the craft from asking dumb questions:)

well charles,, if there was a next time i am not sure i would do it.. the rack strength issues are a pain.. one door would be fine but the double door leaves you out on a small branch.

top fit..

5top fit.jpg6top fit.jpg7top fit.jpg
well there are many uses of a good table saw sled and the bigger the better in this case.
and the out rigger for plywood comes into play as well. the plywood piece gets me to the same plane as the table.
as for the sanding pad, well it acts like a gripper to make the ply roll along with the top, works great.
also you see where i used a spacer to allow me to clamp the case where i wanted it before i clamped the rest of it.
1top fit.jpg2top fit.jpg3top fit.jpg
so now that we got the top sized up and square, its time to make some design choices.
position the top where it will go and clamp in place to determine the position on the case.
made some measurements to determine the bevel size..
also made a test piece to see how it will look before we cut the top to final shape.
10top fit.jpg9top fit.jpg8top fit.jpg11top fit.jpgcontinued...........

14top fit 003.jpg13top fit 002.jpg12top fit 001.jpg15top fit 004.jpg

now that we have the bevel figured out, it was time to do the cutting. and once again a sliding fence came to the rescue.
allows me to clamp to it and slide along the fence to make a nice uniform cut. even on the edge cut, i had good control
and no burning due to hesitation of cut. now that the bevels are cut, i was able to temporayly clamp the corbels in place,
to get the right position for the top anchors. and then it was on to final fit of the corbels to the top..
once that was done we just had to glue them in place on the main stiles on all four corners..

16top fit 005.jpg18top fit 007.jpg19top fit 008.jpg17top fit 006.jpg20safty top fit.jpg

the last litte bit of info that i used on this was a spacer on the drill to keep from going threw the top and gave me a postioning tool as well..
so now its just a final hand sand and on the finishing.

i am just showing some of the spots where little things make a difference in the end and some of us might just breeze through it, not thinking that others may not know it or understand it.. also if the new folks on here dont know it! questions can be asked at any time and discussions will never make one feel less than another..never a dumb question, we all got to where ever we are in the craft from asking dumb questions:)

Larry these words you have posted remind me why i joined the forum and of the incredible value and help and friends i have made here.
Glad that even after all these years you took time to put out this friendly reminder.
As my mother would say " warms the cockles of my heart" have no idea what the heck she had cockles in her heart from but i got the idea so i hope you do too.

Great post and project my friend keep it up. It never gets stale. We know how muc work it takes to document a build like this.

Now i gone through the pics of the latest post i cant help but feel like kinda saying to the haggling customers for custom woodworking " go see if you can find this level of work at walmart" lol.

Nice job grey beard. Shes gonna be happy as can be. If not take it back.;)