It's Friday! 1/9/2015 Edition

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
It's warmed back up here to positive double digits, so looking forward to some shop time and hoping to do final sanding on the high chairs. Have a couple of other organization projects to do as well as some repairs to my truck. Other than that, just watching our grandson this weekend.

What's everyone else got going on?

dealing with a large batch of snow, and getting parts laid out for the display cabinet, in between gettin fetu turned into a IT:) he didnt know about it when i dropped him off but he will soon:(

Plowing snow! Wakened up this morning to about 5" of fresh white stuff. Spent the last hour plowing the driveway, and using the small blower on the deck and sidewalks. Warmer today - up to almost 18° - so it's not as bad as the past couple days have been.

Now, with the work done, maybe I can get a bit of shop time.

Building a chicken coop and chicken run, re-building the greenhouse.

And other various smaller projects

yeah, just shoveled instead of blowing, I needed to move a little, was going over to lumber yard to get a couple of sheets to start wifes cabinets, decided Ill put that off for a few days, birthday bash for old friend tomorrow night, sneaking looksies at the playoffs, and more football sunday.
Maybe if it doesn't rain Ill head over for the sheets Monday.

No plans!!! :D Still only 6 degrees and -15 windchill though so probably no shop time either ...:(...so will be painting the girls room and planning out some a new mantel and built in shelving for the family room. Mid 20s and above by end of next week though!

Warming up is the main task!!!!!

Friday: I did a quick task in the shop this morning and will work on making some wooden hinges for my gun cleaning box this afternoon.

Saturday: Shop cleanup and organization - been real lazy about that lately. Also some final steps on my box - will wait until next week when it's a bit warmer to spray topcoats. Then, some football on TV this weekend.

Sunday: Read the paper, have brunch, watch football. Hope the Dallas v Green Bay game doesn't turn into another ice bowl!

Not working today...is that possible? Cleaning the "Shop" area in preparation for Lasik tomorrow...don't want to trip over something I didn't see :doh:

Playing a gig tonight at a local tavern from 8:00 to 11:30. Second gig this week, as we played Happy Hour at another local pub Tuesday night as well. :guitar:

Saturday I'll be painting bathroom walls and cabinets, and guiding Kian as she sands the doors from the cabinets in both bathrooms. (She spent a few days stripping paint from them...now it's time for some touch-up sanding.) By Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning, I'll switch to tile mode and help my sis and her oldest son as we re-tile one of the bathroom floors (and a partial wall to match). I've never laid tile, but I told my sis I'm pretty sure I can run the tile saw just fine. ;) It took me all week and trips to four separate Lowe's stores to get all the tile I needed.

Date night , Shelly and I are tring to get back into at least one night a week together. Shop work. The past week I've had Tony and Jarrod in here on Saturday cleaning and repairing the ceiling in my office and an just making room for STUFF !

Cooled off here. Only 64º. Excuse me. I need to get my sweatshirt.

On the activity, house guest for a few days, so two girls on the town! Look out, world. :rofl:

Getting back to some routine jobs, home repair, upgrades and organising after three weeks of excess everything. My "gym membership" was delivered last week- 8 cords of next winter's firewood. I have good intentions of spending an hour a day hand splitting and piling. It should split nicely after a week at -15c.

Missed date night. Jarrod took a marine stationed here in DC out bow hunting , Dan shot his 1st bow kill buck. Late night in the shop butchering. So date night was changed to tonight.

Have a whole lamb carcass hanging in the garage that needs cutting up, 15 lbs of pork shoulder, 5 lbs of bacon, 2 ducks, a while eye of the round to process.

Goals:
Lamb chops and shanks in the freezer
Merguize sausage with salt cured lemon
Beerwurst
Cream brauts
Braciola
Duck breast prosciutto

Lunch break!

The really ironic part is on days like this I usually just grab a sandwich (and a few "test tastes" as the sausage gets stuffed to make sure the spice mix is right) since we're so busy; kind of like I don't drink beer when brewing.

This is the first time we've used the LEM 10lb stuffer we got last year and MAN is it vastly better than the "attach to the meat grinder tube" setup. Whoooo... takes a lot of the pain out of bigger batches. I can see some 30-40lb batches in the future no problem. Cindy asked if a "real" meat grinder was as much better as this is (we have one on the bosch mixer which is better than the kitchen aid but still...) and I replied "yep". I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see a new meat grinder show up one of these days.. :D

Progress is made!

The beerwurst is stuffed and drying a bit before I fire up the smoker here in a couple minutes, contrary to my remembrance its only about 20% bacon not 50%, I guess it would be a bit to fatty otherwise.

The brauts are stuffed and setting to dry before wrapping.

The duck is butchered and the breast is curing in its salt pack, in a day or so I'll take it out of that, rinse and then dry hang for a week (might put a little pepper rub on it then). The bones have been scraped and then roasted for the soup later with the trimmings. The wings and legs/thighs are in the fridge for dinner later this week. The fat is in the fridge, I'll render it out later (maybe tomorrow) and then put the little crispy bits of skin that come out of that on some sort of salad or something (tbd).

Cindy has the Harissa made for the lamb sausage flavoring, made a bit extra since lamb is on the menu :D

Next up in order:
- start smoking the beer wurst
- butcher the lamb
- make the lamb sausage
- Maybe get to trimming the eye of the round and put the cure on it (probably, won't take to long to do that).