Think this will be an Improvement?

Even if the robot was as smart as some of the clerks in my local BORG it wouldn't work. I don't mean that it would not work well; I mean it would refuse to work. In order for the robot to emulate the current humans in my BORG or the websites thereof it would have to break the first law of robotics:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

and we all know that robots just won't do that ;-)

The Terminator was a robot. :D

It could be argued that the terminator was a cyborg, rather then a robot. Cybermen in reverse would be a good description.
That said, I wonder how long until we see something in 2600 magazine or online about hacking these robots.
Also self checkouts can be bad when unmonitored. My local Home Depot tried an open 24 hours experiment, I got some good deals when they clearanced stuff at the end of the night (get off work at 9pm and go in), but when they stopped, a couple of the people I knew that worked there, said they figured being open 24 hours and using those things in combination, and they had $150K leave the store that year. That was before things like swapping barcodes or other tricks theives use.

I pretty much always use the self checkout, unless i need to talk to someone about a purchase. I figure the robots are probably not much different than the price check scanners that a lot of stores have and I find those to be quite convenient. I have found my smart phone to be quite handy on several trips to Lowe's or Home Depot over the last couple of years. It's not uncommon to pick up an item that isn't tagged with a bar code so when that happens I usually just take a picture of the placard with all the price and code info and show it to the person at the checkout.

Put me in the camp that prefers human beings to robots. They have a place but not in this location. Especially if the big box store websites are a sample of what the bot will be using to look up the part. As for self checkout I cannot stand them. Wish they would do a survey and find out how many people actually do. I am in Leos camp and refuse to use them.

There is a survey done at each register each time there is a completed transaction. They are keeping track.