How do you store your larger sanding belts?

glenn bradley

I keep thinking there must be a better way that doesn't suck up a lot of wall space yet, will let me easily get to different grits without having to unroll everything? I've got them grouped into coarse, medium and fine but, it is still a pain.

image-1794043354.jpg

Last edited:
What is wrong with the way you have them? They are contained.

I just left mine in the box they came in until recently, and decided maybe I should take them out and let them hang on the wall above the sander, so they are in a more relaxed state, which is opposite of what you want to do. My belts are 9"x138-3/4" and how the factory got 10 of them in a small square box is incredible.

It is interesting because I was trying to think of how to store them differently this weekend as I was going through the shop and cleaning up and pulling out things that haven't been used in while to get rid of.

One of the things I thought about was to get some short sections of 6" PVC pipe and mount them on the wall about 5' apart horizontally and hang the sandpaper between them.

Well what about hanging some short sections pvc pipe from the ceiling with hook and chain that has similar spacing centerline to centerline of the sander.

Or you could always make a little round roll around stool to sit on that has a round tube base the rolled up sand paper can fit into.

or if all else fails buy a plastic tub and just store it under you bed in the house......the shallow ones that roll under the bed....wrap it in a towel and nobody will be the wiser....

Untitled.jpg

Well what about hanging some short sections pvc pipe from the ceiling

Yes, this is the sort of thing I am talking about ;-) I had visions of some short sections mounted to the wall but, the only wall I have available isn't real accessible. Suspending from the ceiling opens up a lot more possibilities :thumb:.

Just make sure you hang it high enough or you will end up with no hair on the top of the head like me..:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Just make sure you hang it high enough or you will end up with no hair on the top of the head like me..:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm already pretty much there ;-) I was toying with an idea like this that would swing up and down from the rafters but, am already changing plans ;-)

sanding belt hanger.jpg

The belts would circle around all three tubes, the outer ones to set the span and the inner one to add some support to the belts if the number got high.

If you extended the tubes through to the other side you could double the storage space and keep it from twisting to one side, unless those hangers are more rigid than they appear.

not to hyjack this thread but a question on cleaning belts, some one mentioned using soap and water , would that also work on drums for a stationary drum stander.. have some that the rubber stick wont clean out..

not to hyjack this thread but a question on cleaning belts, some one mentioned using soap and water , would that also work on drums for a stationary drum stander.. have some that the rubber stick wont clean out..

Pick a spot that doesn't normally come into play and put a couple of drops of water onto it. Abrasives seem to come in types that can take water and types that can't. I will say that the LA Awesome that I clean my bits and blades with knock tough goo right outta my sanding rolls. If I am silly enough to sand glue (nope, never done that, not me :eek:) I squirt them with LA Awesome, let 'em soak for a couple minutes and hit them with a small wire toothbrush style brush. I've been able to save everything so far but, one of these days . . .

I'm already pretty much there ;-) I was toying with an idea like this that would swing up and down from the rafters but, am already changing plans ;-)

View attachment 88499

The belts would circle around all three tubes, the outer ones to set the span and the inner one to add some support to the belts if the number got high.

What are you planning on using for the tubes and what diameter were you thinking about?

Here's where I ended up for now. the bulk of this wall has been on my "needs to be re-org'd" list for a few years. I don't have time to do it now even still. These are 89" belts grouped by grit and doubled. The width is about 32" overall for the three bundles. The little Harbor Freight plastic clips hold the ends together and holds a tag that states the grits in the bunch. If and when I ever do re-org that wall I will go vertical with them; coarse grits which see frequent use on top through finer grits at the bottom since I use them much less often.

Sanding Belt Storage (2).jpg . Sanding Belt Storage (1).jpg

So Where Did This End Up?

Scrap 3" S&D, pipe caps and a few screws.

Belt Storage (1).jpg . Belt Storage (2).jpg . Belt Storage (3).jpg

Fits in the footprint front to back and side to side. Sometimes storage is right in front of me, I just have to percolate on it awhile. Everybody happy, happy :bliss:

Last edited: