Urethane

ken lutes

Has anyone have any experience with General Finishes wipe on urethane. I am wondering how well it will hold up on a kitchen island with no sink. I am not a fan of polyurethane. Thought I would try this. Actually a little late to be asking I already have 5 coats of it on our island. It is 13/4 thick maple. I really like the looks of it. Just curious if others have used it. Sorry for being away so long. Have had others projects going on. Finally getting back to a little wood working. I am currently rebuilding a house and building a new shop. Be glad when it's done. Been a long time coming.

If you mean the Arm-R-Seal, it's just about the best wipe-on finish I've found. Been using it for years.

Lately, I've been using mostly waterborne finishes, but I still keep a gallon of Arm-R-Seal on hand.

Looking at the MSDS doesn't reveal anything remarkable (if you refer to the Gel Uretahne top coat), I have to think it will be at least as good as any other urethane product, and probably better since it's made by GF. It should do well on a countertop since urethane is so scratch resistant. That's not based on hands on experience, like you I avoid urethane finishes.

It should be fine, You do want to add a couple coats of Butchers Bowling Ally wax after it cures. This will add a pit more protection. The butchers should last about 2-3 months depending on the use.

Ive had good results with General. I like their endurovar a lot. it really gives that old varnish look which is great from a waterborne. Love it on cherry

This is a kitchen I did a few years ago. The cherry is endurovar and the blue is their tinted urethane

Last edited: