Bowl Head

Phil Stivers

Phil - bowl head.jpg
While experimenting with the calabash form I came up with an excellent "hat". Green sweet gum. It is now my profile picture.
IMG_3297.jpgIMG_3301.jpgIMG_3305.jpgIMG_3306.jpgIMG_3307.jpg

Looks like you got a new style started, Ted!

Nice work, Phil!!! :thumb:

image.php
attachment.php

How about a poll on these guys?

Last edited:
Put the hat er bowl back on you looked better with it on. Don't go out in the bad weather you might light up like a Christmas tree. Well you did settle wheather to put the ground part of a plug up when installing it I see your ground is installed up. You have foiled the grounding system once again.

I have to admit I snicker a little every time I see Teds bowl head, now we've got two loml is going to be even more convinced I've lost it.

Nice curves on the hat Phil!

I'm in the midst (highly intermittent and delayed) of finishing up re-turning some twice turned sweet gum. A few of the bigger pieces moved and cracked a little but overall it seems like a pretty nice wood to turn. Only a couple had nice figure, but the rest are kind of a nice "blank slate" for playing with the forms.

I'm glad I held back with my comments about your hat Ted. Now that you have company, people can make comments about hats without you thinking that they are picking on you.

How long from the first time you published this avatar did it take before you got your first hat comment?

Actually I think you don't need the aluminum foil (from the pic, I thought it was iceberg lettuce) to scare away the aliens---your avatar alone should be able to do that.

Heck I could scare them away just the way I am---even without a hat.

Enjoy,
JimB

Jim,
You have been such a gentleman and exercised such great restraint that I will let you in on the secret.....not foil and not lettuce. It's lichens! You have to sit still for a long time outdoors, facing north to get them to grow on the proper side of the hat.
DSC04990-C.jpg

Lucky dog. You got spritzed!

:rofl:

Otherwise my hair would be a frayed!!

Actually, don't think I ever got a bowl cut the fallback around our house was the horse clippers. High and tight doesn't even begin to describe it (more of an old fashioned convict look). I've seen plenty though and it's not something that you forget real easy.