WIP

Rob Damon

During Ted's visit, he noted the lathe was by itself in the corner. Truthfully, it has not been turned on in a while.

I had picked up some Iwasaki wood files from Woodcraft.

Never bought any handles for them. So I figured it was time to dust of the lathe and crank it up.

Spent a couple hours on Sunday, got halfway done. Simple, nothing fancy but they work.

IMG05766sm.jpg

The handle is Mahogany with a copper cap.

IMG05768sm.jpg

The copper was going to be used for the air lines.

IMG05770sm.jpg

Rob

Those came out nice. Love my Iwasaki's - you have a pretty complete looking collection there, I only have a couple but man on anything that I can use them on I do.

What did you use for finish on the mahogany?

Well done Rob. I need to do a few of those myself. I did some on my carving chisels a few years back. I used the copper caps with holes drilled in the ends, but the were epoxied in too.

Ryan: I bought two small ones a year ago during a Woodcraft sale and was amazed how well they cut. At the last annual sale I picked up the rest of them. Since I wanted to protect both the copper and the wood, I used 4 light coats of shellac.

Jim: DIMENSION: Overall length was 4 1/2", copper was 1-1/4" long. Diameter is about 1-1/8". The size was not really planned, I just mounted one of the blanks and start creating sawdust. The first one was a little longer and fatter and didn't feel right, so I turned it down smaller. I don't have large hands, so they are comfortable for me.

Darren: I just used a center punch and pinch the copper in three locations (not my idea, I just saw how the other file handles were made.) I also just stepped drilled the wood and used a rubber mallet to get a good solid press fit of the file in the handle.

Ted: I guess the whirly/spinning must have set up a temporary magnetic field that induced a plasma state in Yorktown and you must not have been wearing your aluminum foil hat to block the pulsating waves......:bonkers: