Some Classic Tools

Sean Wright

I was looking through my Grandmother's garage, when I found several boxes with tools. I talked to my Dad, and he said I could take what I wanted.

So here are my latest additions. I'm not to familiar with most of these, so anything that you might know or want to share about them would be appreciated. :wave:

Part 1

Attachments

• plane1.jpg
    plane1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 81
  • pln7.jpg
    pln7.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 70
  • pln5.jpg
    pln5.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 61
  • pln2.jpg
    pln2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 65
  • pln1.jpg
    pln1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 82
  • plane6.jpg
    plane6.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 46
  • plane3.jpg
    plane3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 58
  • plane2.jpg
    plane2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 59
Due to the limit on the number of pictures that can be posted, I'm adding this on.

Some Classic Tools - Part 2

Attachments

• bnb5.jpg
    bnb5.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 24
  • bnb4.jpg
    bnb4.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 27
  • bnb3.jpg
    bnb3.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 16
  • bnb2.jpg
    bnb2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35
  • bnb1.jpg
    bnb1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 27
  • tm5.jpg
    tm5.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 22
  • tm4.jpg
    tm4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 25
  • tm3.jpg
    tm3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 19
  • tm2.jpg
    tm2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 23
  • tm1.jpg
    tm1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 36
You should spend more time in Grama's garage :D

I think you have some nice finds there, with some elbow grease and mabye a new part or two, you will have a bunch of great tools.

Do you know if they were your Grandad's ?

That would be especially sweet.

Cheers!

You should spend more time in Grama's garage :D

I think you have some nice finds there, with some elbow grease and mabye a new part or two, you will have a bunch of great tools.

Do you know if they were your Grandad's ?

That would be especially sweet.

Cheers!

Stu,

They were my Grandfather's tools. :thumb:

He wasn't really in to woodworking, so I'm thinking that someone may have given some of them to him, way back. I know that he bought the Bit from Sears, as it was still in a paper bag labled from Sears.

Sean, that is one terrific find, you lucky dog, you.:thumb: :thumb:

I would clean them up and put them on display. BTW, Highland woodworking has replacement totes and knobs.

Okay, that's it, you get a big You Suck comment :)

Actually you did the opposite of me. My grandmother said there was a big trunk filled with old handplanes that I could have. I had to wait 4 months in order to be sure no snakes were around (I hate snakes). Anyway, when I opened up the trunk I found nil, naddah, noth, zilch. What a let down. Thank goodness Liberty Tool is just around the corner!!

I'll be heading over to Grandma's house tomorrow for dinner.

If I'm lucky, I get a chance to duck into the Garage for a few minutes and dig around again! :thumb:

UPDATE:

Well, I did get a brief moment to dig around... No new finds, but there are still some boxes that I haven't gotten to yet. So who knows what I might find!

Last edited:
Yes Sean

You might find a nice, big, bunch of flowers for your grandmum.:D

Incidently that is the greatest avatar of you and your son, a pair of terrific smiles, bless you both.

Take yur time

and look in places you might think empty.. the ole folks used to stash stuff in strange places. and dont over look old empty boxes. some of those are valuble as well.. wish i had a place to dig like you have:thumb: :thumb:

Yes Sean

You might find a nice, big, bunch of flowers for your grandmum.:D

Incidently that is the greatest avatar of you and your son, a pair of terrific smiles, bless you both.

Tom,
Thank you for your kind words. I can't wait 'til the little guy gets big enough to build somethings with him! :thumb:

and look in places you might think empty.. the ole folks used to stash stuff in strange places. and dont over look old empty boxes. some of those are valuble as well.. wish i had a place to dig like you have:thumb: :thumb:

Larry,

There are a bunch of boxes I still have to go through, I don't want to miss something good! I'm going to check the basement too, but I don't think I'll find much there.

Not Classic Tools, but I did find a set of newer Stanley chisels and a bunch of C-Clamps there too!

CAUTION! I've heard those Stanley Rabbet planes can carry dangerous diseases. Send yours to me immediately for proper disposal.

Classic Saw Score and More - Part1

Well, Grandma's garage has once again yielded some finds. :thumb:

I found 4 of my Grandpa's hand saws. I have no idea how old they are, and unfortunatly I can't make out any markings on them. Perhaps unmarked, perhaps hidden by the rust. I also found an old oil can and a ratcheting screwdriver (handle looks like mice have been chewing on it. :( ) I think that is about it for the Garage. I'm going to give the basement a once over when I get the chance, but I was told that all of the tools were in the garage.

If any one has any suggestions for rust removal on hand saw blades, I'm all ears. :dunno: I was considering the wirewheel, but I think that might be too abrasive, and damage the saw blades.

Attachments

• Handsawscore.jpg
    Handsawscore.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 10
  • HandMSaw2.jpg
    HandMSaw2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 7
  • HandMSaw1.jpg
    HandMSaw1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 7
  • HandsawSm3.jpg
    HandsawSm3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 6
  • HandsawSm2.jpg
    HandsawSm2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 8
  • HandsawSm1.jpg
    HandsawSm1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 7
  • HandsawBig4.jpg
    HandsawBig4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 15
  • HandsawBig3.jpg
    HandsawBig3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 8
  • HandsawBig2.jpg
    HandsawBig2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 9
  • HandsawBig1.jpg
    HandsawBig1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 8
Classic Saw Score and More - Part2

Maxed out the number of picture on the last post. :doh:

Here are the ratcheting screw driver and the oil can.

Attachments

• Handdriver1.jpg
    Handdriver1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Handdriver2.jpg
    Handdriver2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 7
  • oilcan1.jpg
    oilcan1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 8
  • oilcan2.jpg
    oilcan2.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 8
well Sean isnt it fun to treasure hunt:thumb: got some lookun to do at my dads place he has some of my great uncles stuff and i have gotten alittel in the past but now dad says i need to get it all:D i didnt know there was more:eek: ,, so maybe this wknd i can find a motherload like you have... the family history of it will make even the least desirable antique valuable to me...:D :D kinda like a canadian plane i have;)

Holy Cow ! . . .

What a score ! Now you get to learn all about refurb from scratch ! Its a wonderfull adventure. Just make sure SWMBO is going to be absent the ENTIRE day before you put the japaning in the kitchen oven !

By the way . . . if you happen to find a rather short Bailey bench plane without the " No. _ " on it . . . dont bother taking it home. Just mail it to El Paso on your way !

A few of the tools have names I have heard. The rachet screw driver is called a "Yankee". ( as I look at that again, maybe it isn't):dunno:
The skinny to the point saw is a key hole saw, the saw with the square end and reinforced back is a back saw for hand mitre box, the 100' tape measure is made by Lufkin who I buy my stick rules from, (the Luflin 72" X46 Red end), The brace and bit ( with the expandable cutter) may very well have given rise to the forstner bits, and to clean rust you can use vinegar but exercise caution as it can, eat more than the rust if left too long. I think this is all valid information, if not, just call me a politician. :D
Shaz :wave:

Last edited: