Adirondack Chair - Finally Finished

David Agnew

WOW! That only took 8 months!

Genesis thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?32951-Adirondack-Chair-Design-Considerations
Design thread: http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?33117-Adirondack-Chairs-(and-table-)

Slow and steady wins the race, I guess. I've got to build a mate for this thing now too, uggggg. THAT one is going to get assembled, then sprayed. I've been referring to this project as "That Stupid Chair" for about 6 weeks now. Won't be able to take it outside until April or May....

I've got probably an honest to God 40-50 hours in this sad thing. Material prep was a bear. All of the 2x material is #2 pressure treated pine of various widths. I carefully examined all my stock and cut around knots and imperfections. There's only 1 knot in the entire chair. I handplaned every square inch of every single board. Then I pre-drilled and counter-sunk about 80% of the holes. Next I stained everything. Finally, I assembled it.

Here are the finished photos. Took so long that I've lost the few in-progress shots I took. You can see there are lots of Arts & Crafts / Art Deco elements.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I think I like the little cloud-lift like shape on the lower front cross bar and the rising shapes on the under arm supports best.

Thanks everyone who gave me advice or ideas.

Now I can get to work on something I want to! Wine glass caddies.
il_570xN.464548270_cny0.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06957sm.jpg
    DSC06957sm.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC06956sm.jpg
    DSC06956sm.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC06955sm.jpg
    DSC06955sm.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC06954sm.jpg
    DSC06954sm.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC06951sm.jpg
    DSC06951sm.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 65
Looks comfy and sturdy! Ahh, if only it was warm out and you could sit on the deck with a glass of wine...

I see an Adirondack chair with a built in wine/glass caddy in your future!:D Well done. Your patients paid off and the cloud lifts add a nice touch. The next one will go smoother, right?:thumb::thumb: