Vega lathe copier video - a 6 minute bench leg

Really cool Brian. I remember watching Norm Abrams doing something similar years ago with a no where near as neat set up.

I had one of those at one time they are a real money maker. I only used the depth stop when making a straight cut. I always had the depth stop backed all the way out and just used the lever to feed it sure makes it faster. I was doing some very detailed legs out to Hard Maple and could do 5/hr sanded smooth ready for finish.
Loved that Vega

Bryan, Thanks for taking the time to video your process. It looks like operating the Vega takes some finesse. Are you using the diamond carbide set up? I was reading the reviews on Amazon and many were critical of the machine's quality and the very poor documentation. Some of the reviewers did not realize that operating the machine takes a bit of skill and others felt they didn't receive good value for their investment. It looks like you have mastered the machine. What are your thoughts on it at this point?

Neat, thanks for posting this Brian.

I'm guessing that a production turner who turns 8x5 every week might be faster in a John Henry type challenge but for folks who do a few here and there this would definitely speed up production and accuracy.

Bryan, Thanks for taking the time to video your process. It looks like operating the Vega takes some finesse. Are you using the diamond carbide set up? I was reading the reviews on Amazon and many were critical of the machine's quality and the very poor documentation. Some of the reviewers did not realize that operating the machine takes a bit of skill and others felt they didn't receive good value for their investment. It looks like you have mastered the machine. What are your thoughts on it at this point?
I like the HSS V cutter over the carbide one. I suppose if you were turning a very hard material, the carbide would be best. I was disappointed in the carbide cutter, it's so tiny, and cost a lot just to try it out. The sharp edge of the V cutter can easily peel a 1/4" layer. I sharpen it with my Worksharp 3000. I use the bed stop to start the cut at the square transition, letting the spring pull the cutter forward as I slowly back off the depth stop. Chipping is always a real concern at the square shoulder, whether by hand or by the copier. By adding an angled ramp for a lead in on the pattern, you can change the look of the square to round transition. No bed stop, just slowly letting the cutter into the square edge with the tracer stylus riding the pattern. I bought the Vega to do our stair railings in our new house back in 2003. Since then I have used it for a lot of projects. Most fun I had was making a 4 poster doll bed, printing off a reduced paper pattern to glue to hardboard and cut out to make templates. The more you use it, better you get at running it. I don't try and get a perfect finish with the Vega as lathe chisels can quickly take a finish cut, sharpen the details. I think thats where a lot of users go wrong, trying to get a finished product with just the copier.

It took me a while to understand what I was seeing as I didn't notice the profile template lying below until the end of the video. In my ignorance I assumed that it was tracing another leg that was out of sight as in a reprocarver. Dumb of me!

Cool video and results Bryan. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks! Sometimes someone asks about using a copier, thought I would set the camera up beside me while doing a leg.
I must have spent 3 hours trying to make the video using i-movie on the Mac, LOL.

Your poor camera -- There were several minutes of shavings flying right into the lens. Did you have a shield in front of it?

I had the same learning curve when I first started iMovie. That beginning of "how the heck does this work" was painful. Works pretty good now, once I've gotten into it.