SketchUp Practice

Dave Richards

I haven't posted any practice pieces for awhile so I thought I'd share this one. It's a small Sheraton-style table based loosely on one by Mario Rodriguez. I was really only interested in the legs when I started. They turned out to be pretty simple so I doodled up the table. There's probably going to be a tutorial on parts of this in case there's interest.

That leg turned out to be deceptively easy....

attachment.php

I drew a 12-sided circle.
Drew a half-circle arc on the flat of one of the sides.
Cut a pie slice and made it a component.
I extruded it
I scaled one end of it to make the taper.
I then did a radial copy of the component
Then I built a cone and made it a group
I copy/pasted the cone into the component and did an "intersect with context"
then deleted the group and the waste portions of the component
finally traced a line on the component so Sketchup would re-fill the arc

I'm sure there was a better way to cut the angle, but I'm supposed to be working in my physical shop downstairs, not the digital one up here! :rofl:

Attachments

• legMockUp.jpg
    legMockUp.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 74
Darren, it would be good practice to go back and redraw your high chair. I'm sure you would find easier ways the next time around.

David, that's a good start although it quite a few more steps than I used. Get back to work! :D

Here's a close up of the front. should give you an idea of the profile at the top. the tops of the reeds are cut off with a curve instead of a flat.

16369741181_4be9b201d0.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know about quite a few... I think a better method to make the angled tops would be to select the half circle, then use the rotate tool to bend it down. However, that's still extra steps b/c you have to build an angled wall at half the angle (15*) between the two sides of the pie and set the Rotate tool's angle to that.

That's for a flat reed top.

Other than using a bunch of extensions, I don't see how you could do a more complicated curved cut with fewer steps.

No extensions were used to make the reeded section or cut off the tops of them. In fact, I used only one extension while drawing the entire leg and that was to draw some of the curves in the turned sections.

I didn't build any angled walls or do most of the steps you came up with.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how you would draw it so we'll leave it at that.