A Good Problem To Have

Stuart Ablett

Busy is a four letter :)

I've not been on here much and that is because I'm busy, I'm booked for work until maybe the end of May. I want to be clear that I'm not bragging in any way, I just want to share my good fortune and also apologize in advance for not being around much and not having any time to post the work that I am doing.

Late last year I started to do more work outside the L shop and the Dungeon, more going to a client's place of business and doing some work, stuff like hanging whiteboards on office walls etc. This kind of work has led to one client introducing me to another and so on until I'm kept fairly busy doing these side jobs. The I had one client talk to me about a major project, they want a studio built in one of their offices. I cannot mention any names but these people do market research for foreign companies wanting to do business in Japan. They do a lot of focus groups. Basically in one room a bunch of industry people are interviewed by the company rep about the industry in question. The foreign company reps are in the studio listening to a real time translation and watching through some one way glass, think crime drama ;) I'm building the soundproof room, that we are calling a studio. It does not have to be perfectly sound proof, they are not doing broadcast level work, but mainly they do not want to people in the interview room to be able to hear the real time translation as well as any discussion going on in the studio. It has to stop the human voice transfer, not a live rock band playing.

That is just one of four major projects I have on the go booked so to speak, but as usual I have to run now, so more later.

Cheers!

So I'm back, this project will take me two to three weeks, mostly 5 hour days, because I still have the L shop work to do. Once I'm done with this job it will be on to the next one, that will actually be two jobs for that Circus, one making a new set of eight of the stacking acrobatic chairs, and two chairs that are used on a high wire act, lots of hours there and some really interesting work to be done as well, I'll certainly be taking lots of pictures and I'll be asking for some help here and there for sure. After that I have a client that needs a set of three cabinets built for their apartment, they are here in Japan about half the year and the rest of the time they rent out the apartment, they want some cabinets that they can have their belongings in, but that can just be simply locked when they are away, that is also a good bit of work. Lastly the Playground of Hope guys are gearing up for work again and this they want to run two installation crews, that means another crane and a bunch more other jigs etc that I built for them before. Yep looks like a nice busy year so far.

Cheers!

Congratulations on the backlog of work. It sounds a little like handyman work, below your skill level (other than the circus work). I just hope you don't get pegged as a handyman rather than a wood and metal wizard.

If your remaining L store duties are largely deliveries, could you train a low cost assistant?

With all the fine craftsmanship they have in Japan, it's a testament to your skill and attention to detail that you are getting these jobs.

Congrats!